Author Topic: new revised mk 3  (Read 8626 times)

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: new revised mk 3
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
Saw two Sport models at Listers today. Had a test drive in the CVT and it is impressive. It is much better at pulling away across busy islands etc and does not need to be revved all the time to make progress.

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5079

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
I thought the new sport model was having the 1.5 engine that has been in production for other climes and the auto was just that a proper auto. The auto box/ 1.5 configuration  was being produced alongside the MK2 at Swindon and exported to South Africa. I believe Honda made the excuse that it was emissions that prevented it being sold here.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Interested in your comments about the CVT paired with this new engine. Without wanting to re-open an old and sometimes heated debate I still go back to the drive I had with a pal in his 1.4 Mk 2 CVT and how the engine screamed when he wanted to get a shift on with little immediate acceleration - this might mean a much more leisurely drive.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
Interested in your comments about the CVT paired with this new engine. Without wanting to re-open an old and sometimes heated debate I still go back to the drive I had with a pal in his 1.4 Mk 2 CVT and how the engine screamed when he wanted to get a shift on with little immediate acceleration - this might mean a much more leisurely drive.
I'm not convinced about your description of it 'screaming'. Above 4,000 rpm it gets loud but it's more like a 'weak roar' than a 'scream' to my ears and not particularly out of keeping for what you're asking the car to do. If you insist on slamming the accelerator pedal to the floor you can hardly expect a quiet humming noise ;)

But as I said last time you mentioned it it's also something that I don't often need to do. I occasionally let rip just for the fun of it but I rarely ever need my Jazz to rev beyond 4,000 rpm. There's plenty of power below 4,000 to let me keep up with (and often get away from) those around me. Between 3,000 and 4,000 and the engine just sounds 'eager' with a nice throaty undertone. I particularly like the way it maintains a constant RPM - to me sounds like it's just 'getting the job done'.

As I think I mentioned the last time:It sounds like your friend hasn't yet worked out how to use the accelerator pedal. You do have to signal your intent to move but there's no need to actually floor it. A rapid and positive down shift of a few degrees will suffice. I can now reliably jump the revs to 3,000 rpm when I want to get going. If you don't do that the engine may bog down in Atkinson mode which definitely isn't fun when you're trying to make progress.

However I did notice when I drove a courtesy car recently that the latest CVT seems to have a bit more pep at low RPM anyway, along with a more 'traditional' way of handling foot-to-the-floor acceleration. It may be that Honda have tweaked the low-speed throttle/CVT response to address these concerns.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:12:58 PM by andruec »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Saw two Sport models at Listers today. Had a test drive in the CVT and it is impressive. It is much better at pulling away across busy islands etc and does not need to be revved all the time to make progress.

Which engine, was fitted in your test car? 1.3, or 1.5?
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

I'm not convinced about your description of it 'screaming'. Above 4,000 rpm it gets loud but it's more like a 'weak roar' than a 'scream' to my ears and not particularly out of keeping for what you're asking the car to do. If you insist on slamming the accelerator pedal to the floor you can hardly expect a quiet humming noise ;)

Perhaps screaming was the wrong word, I was trying to convey that the 1.5 does at 4000 rpm what the 1.3 needs 5000 rpm to achieve. Yes it is more like a roar which is not in itself unpleasant.

Which engine, was fitted in your test car? 1.3, or 1.5?

It was the 1.5

I thought the new sport model was having the 1.5 engine that has been in production for other climes and the auto was just that a proper auto. The auto box/ 1.5 configuration  was being produced alongside the MK2 at Swindon and exported to South Africa. I believe Honda made the excuse that it was emissions that prevented it being sold here.

This is the same unit as fitted ti the HRV and the auto is CVT, but improved in the way that Andruec has described. As to Honda's excuses, perhaps they were just that!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 04:22:38 PM »

Perhaps screaming was the wrong word, I was trying to convey that the 1.5 does at 4000 rpm what the 1.3 needs 5000 rpm to achieve. Yes it is more like a roar which is not in itself unpleasant.
Ah. Yes, that would make sense. I would like to try the 1.5 version esp with the new CVT. I'm still a little unsure about the changes at the top of the range (making it sound like it was changing up) but it felt smooth and did give more engine braking. But I'm still thinking I'll want something with an alternative fuel source of some description. It's at least a year away for that decision. The only thing I've decided so far is that I won't be going back to the dealer that's been 'looking after me' for over ten years.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
I think I'm in a similar if not identical position to you audrec. A couple of physiological issues have reared their ugly heads - impingement syndrome in my left shoulder and a weak left ankle and my GP thinks I might want to consider an automatic next time. I'm also curious in a nerdy sort of way about alternative fuel vehicles. Tried a Yaris - too small overall and sat in but didn't drive an Auris hybrid. It felt claustrophobic even though it's a bigger car than the Jazz. It has a slab like dashboard that seems to enclose you whereas the Jazz has that open airy feel up front.

So I'm looking at Jazz Mk 3s with the CVT box and the Nissan Leaf. I'd like the latter if truth be told but there are a couple of journeys it might struggle with range wise although I could charge up at a rapid charger for one of them. All the rest of my round trips are under 30 miles - should I be put off by 2 journeys a year which might be mildly inconvenient or should I indulge my urge to have something different.

I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
For two journeys a year you could hire a car. I looked at hiring a car, from Enterprise, for two days. £86. That's two tanks of petrol. I intend getting a Leaf, just as soon as we move and I have off road parking for charging.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
I'm lucky in having off road parking (although no garage). Only prob is I might need quite a long charging cable given where our consumer unit is.

Still swithering!

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »
I'm lucky in having off road parking (although no garage). Only prob is I might need quite a long charging cable given where our consumer unit is.

Still swithering!
I've got a garage and I'm not afraid to use it :)

At the moment long distance driving would be a concern as I have an ageing father 180 miles away but aside from that drive I rarely go more than fifty miles from home. A true EV would be fine for me. I'd like to try an HEV though first as that might be the best of both worlds. I'm just not sure how effective a hybrid would be for an efficient driver like me that doesn't use the brakes very much.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »

Still swithering!

I assumed that the charger was put somewhere convenient to plug the car into and a there is a permanent cable connecting the charger  to the power supply.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
I've been comparing the brochure specs for the 2018 mk3 with the original 2016 ones, and there are subtle differences, including a small length and weight increase and a slightly heavier fuel consumption.  Most curiously, the turning circle in 2016 was quoted as 10.8 m for all models, whereas it is now said to be only 10.6 m for the S and SE models, but 11.2 m for the EX and 11.1 m for the sport, which must be related to body trim changes.

Tags:

anything