Author Topic: Dreadfull RAC Breakdown service  (Read 10012 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Dreadfull RAC Breakdown service
« on: January 27, 2024, 02:44:20 PM »
yesterday i had a flat battery again 1.4 ishift cannot bump start so used my bolt charging unit to start car no problem fine, battery is now five years old when home decided to call out RAC to hopefully change the battery for a new one under their battery replacement cover  been paying £13 a month for over 5 months now  could not ring them had to report  problem by app on phone 4.15pm , waited and waited  10mins later text saying they were locating a patrol and would be 1-1/2 hrs thats fine no problem 20 mins later text stating two hours ok i could live with that 40 mins later text stating it would be at least 10pm-10.30 pm yikes!!! ok its not life or death but what if i was broken down in the sticks somewhere 6 hr wait for a jump start cannot contact them by phone  keep referring to an app i personally would expect a basic duty of care  2 hrs max for a basic jump start ??? £13 a month  even sending a local garage out I have today purchased a varta battery A14 £60 four year warranty and bitterly complained to RAC for letting me down i have asked for them to refund the cost of the new battery i have bought as i cannot wait  for them to possibly turn up ??would like you comments on their service

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Dreadfull RAC Breakdown service
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 08:38:49 PM »
A neighbour had the replacement battery malarkey with them.  I had fitted a Yuasa 5000 series battery for her about 9 months earlier.  She'd left lights on accidentally and flattened it,
I wasn't around,  she called RAC. All it needed was either a charge or even just a jump start on a booster and it would have been fine. They sold her a new £80 battery,  plus they took away a perfectly good Yuasa battery.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 04:02:13 AM »
A 'fully' flat battery can be ruined

My Mrs did the same, left lights on, on our new car (Metro), years ago, and even after a full trickle charge and 100 mile trip it still lost charge overnight

It could have been a faulty battery from the offset but the AA mechanic, and I forget how, opened all the top-up holes and one was 'bubbling" and he said that cell was dragging the others down
Let's be careful out there !

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 06:08:33 AM »
My ex pupil had similar problems with RAC during the lockdown. I use GEM motorassist and have been brilliant. I would speak to Citizens Advice Bureau and they will help how to claim this money back under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 06:36:26 PM »
A 'fully' flat battery can be ruined.....
Only if left flat for a reasonable period,  my neighbours battery discharged overnight and would have charged up fine given the chance.  It was an easy target,  especially when they also add that they won't come out again to a flat battery if the customer doesn't replace the battery, that'll be £80 then and we'll relieve you of this 9 month old one. Kerching.

Tags:

anything