Author Topic: Cleaning your EGR Valve - Simple  (Read 25894 times)

guest1251

Cleaning your EGR Valve - Simple
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
Hi All:

I have a 2002 1.3 Jazz with 57000Km's on the clock. My wife advised me when we first bought it several months ago that it sometimes chugged when cruising or slowing down...
I took it for a fast country run and it sort of came right.  Last week she advised me it had got worse and chugging quite bad.
So today, I removed the EGR Valve(5 minute job), cleaned it with Kerosene, Contact Cleaner and CRC, plus I gave  it a few good bangs on the work bench. You could hear the solenoid/valve moving etc. Also sprayed the electrical connector plug and socket with contact cleaner. Refitted EGR Valve and car has not driven so well since we bought it..."Really smooth".  I suspect the banging on the bench may of freed up the solenoid..., as otherwise it was not that dirty.... Car is now 100% better....
Really easy to remove the valve.... 2x 12mm bolts. You'll need a narrowish socket, my 1/2 inch verison were to big, 3/8 just fitted.
Even if it only lasts several weeks, it certainly confirms the EGR valve is at fault, not the auto!! On this subject, can someone confirm that if my Auto fluid is very very light in colour, it's probably the new type of Honda CVT-F oil.

Hope I've helped someone...

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: Cleaning your EGR Valve - Simple
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
Is there a gasket that has to be renewed?

guest1251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
Yes there is a gasket, but no I did not change it.  The car has continued to run without any more chugging, so I can confirm it is worth trying to clean the EGR valve.

guest3185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
Hi can someone explain what EGR stands for and where it is situated.
Thanks
Keith

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
I think it stands for emission gas regualtor...

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »
It stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It is located towards the left of the engine block when viewed with the bonnet up.

guest3250

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:15:36 AM »
I guess a photo would be helpful.... :)

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
Then do what I've just done and Google 'honda jazz egr valve photo', or is that too obvious.....

guest3250

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »
Oh Ok - yes I guess - I am coming more from a photography forum mentality where
we all just post photos of stuff - does make sense - silly me!!
 :D

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
It stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It is located towards the left of the engine block when viewed with the bonnet up.

Hey.. i got the gas bit right!!  ;) ;D

guest3367

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
I've already done this on my wife's jazz, but the 'chugging' has started to return.

Just as a thought, I think it might be worthwhile to give the EGR passages a quick clean out as well...  Has anyone done this yet?

By passages I mean the piece the EGR valve connects to - From looking at the parts diagram it only appears to need a further two bolts to remove...

I've owned a couple of 2 litres Accords where the EGR advice given was to cleanup both valve and passageway to ensure smooth running... they were very often clogged up with soot/dirt, so the gasflow was definitely restricted.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
Cars will happily run without the EGR as long as it is stuck in the closed position.  The EGR should only open at high revs to allow exhaust gas into inlet and reduce combustion temperature (and NOx emissions).   I know people who have made a metal plate which blocks off the port and bolts under the EGR body,  this is a standard thing for testing if EGR is at fault.    When EGR fails to close properly it affects the low down running of the engine and is roughly the same as having a hole in the induction manifold  :-X  If the passages in cylinder head are blocked it shouldn't affect engine running at low speed because EGR valve should be closed then anyway (no gas flowing through passages), and running at higher speeds should still be OK because all that will happen is less gas will flow, only danger is that if bits of crap flake off the passage walls they can help to stick EGR valve open. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:24:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzista

• Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
Yes, OP, it helped a lot.

Thank you,

Stefano

Tags:

anything