Author Topic: ATF OR CVT??  (Read 4348 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
ATF OR CVT??
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Hi all
I am a little confused regarding my exact Model of Honda Jazz regarding the changing of the Automatic transmission fluid I have a 2010 ex 1. 4 ivtec semi auto ( steering wheel paddle shift) what would be the correct fluid to use ATF / OR CVT??? and how often should it be changed, I cannot find a dipstick in the engine compartment to check the fluid level , also does anyone know if there is a separate oil filter for  this type of transmission would appreciate any help thank you all!!!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
ATF OR CVT??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
When your car is an iShift you need Honda MTF-3 Manual Transmission Fluid.
The manual of our Jazz says changing every 120,000 km or 6 years, whatever comes first. For severe conditions its 60,000 km or 3 years. I have never found a dipstick and i am also not aware of a transmission fluid filter, but others here will know that!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:44:28 PM by jazzway »

guest1372

Re: ATF OR CVT??
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
The iShift is a robotised manual gearbox, therefore treat oil the same as a manual gearbox.  No filter or dipstick - it is just taken up to the level of the filler hole on the side of the gearbox.  Doesn't need changing regularly like the CVT, just as above with a pretty standard gear oil.  As Jazzway says the Honda designation is MTF-3 but that's equivalent to the standard grade of 75W-80 GL4.  Pretty much all UK Honda dealers have a supply agreement with Castrol these days so it's quite likely they would provide Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80 Manual Transmission Fluid but you can also source something suitable everywhere.  2 litres will be enough with a bit spare.
--
TG

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:55:01 PM »
thanks for your time in reply most helpful thank you!!!!

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »
I bought 2 litres Honda  MTF 3 from Cox, also the two drain and fill washers.
Got local garage to do it while MOT and oil change being done. My local garage suggested I bought a Honda filter to keep integrity which I did. The garage charged about £50 to do the gearbox oil plus a couple of little jobs.Less than an hours labour. No dip stick despite dealer telling me there was one. It is just a drain and level plug. I should think it is nigh on impossible to DIY as the car has to be off the ground and level.
As already stated  6yrs or mileage according to the book and it might be imagination but gearbox a little more accommodating.

Tags: