Author Topic: Scottish Jazz Owner  (Read 1482 times)

guest5034

Scottish Jazz Owner
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
Joined ages ago, but cannot remember if I ever posted to say a hello.  So hello

We are a Jazz family.  I've got a 1.4, Mrs has a 1.2, both Mk2s.
On the look out the now for another, something with under 25k on the clock.  Both ours are 2010 plates, and have been over serviced by myself since we got them.  I am sitting around the 55k mark, Mrs 64k mark.  Cars have been bloody faultless.

I run an Elise CUP, and use my Jazz as a day to day car.  I would not swap it, great wee machine to drive, and as i say, the reliability is second to none.  I am hoping to take mine way over the 100k before I do a swap out, but gonna get the Mrs another one and give hers to my old man.

One question.  When are you guys doing the Valve clearances.  Mine starting to make a slight rattle, but other half's is silent.   So mine just about needing them done I'd think.
Done all the servicing myself, as I have a ramp, so easy enough due to good access. 

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Scottish Jazz Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
One question.  When are you guys doing the Valve clearances.  Mine starting to make a slight rattle, but other half's is silent.   So mine just about needing them done I'd think.
Done all the servicing myself, as I have a ramp, so easy enough due to good access.

I would rather have slightly noisy tappets than 'silent' ones,  if there is noise you know that the gap has not closed up so far as to hold the valve slightly open when the engine is hot. This stops the valve head seating on the cylinder head and getting cooled (so it can burn the valve and its seat)  it also allows compression to escape, losing engine power.

Yes sireee, I prefer noisy every time....

My first Civic did 190K before I traded it in - tappets never touched ( I had it from new).

My MK1 Jazz reached over 120K (miles) before I traded it in,  never had tappets looked at even thought they were supposed to need checking every 25K,  my wifes MK1 did over 80K,  no adjustment.

The Mk2 has 60K or 65K check / adjust interval.  It has smaller valves (16 valve) and lighter springs than MK1 (8 valve) so tappets should have an easier time.

I would worry more about silent tappets than noisy ones.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:13:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5034

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the good advice, this is good to know.  When I say my partners tappets are silent, i was exaggerating a bit. You can hear them, I just thought mine where excessive.   But worry over, I'll leave be.  I've read mixed reports about having them adjusted, and I am happy to sit in this camp and leave them well alone. 
My engine actually started to really loosen around the 45k mark.  Its a nippy wee machine.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the good advice, this is good to know.  When I say my partners tappets are silent, i was exaggerating a bit. You can hear them, I just thought mine where excessive.   But worry over, I'll leave be.  I've read mixed reports about having them adjusted, and I am happy to sit in this camp and leave them well alone. 
My engine actually started to really loosen around the 45k mark.  Its a nippy wee machine.

IMHO 'if it ain't broke - don't mess with it'

as for loosening up around 45K,  a Honda engine is only just run in by then.......... :D
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5034

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
Agreed.

Stickshifter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 S 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
I don't think you need to worry too much about adjusting the valve clearances. I have a 2009 Mk2 1.2 with 53K on the clock and did mine over the Summer. None of the valves were out of spec by more than a thousandth of an inch but I adjusted them anyway setting the inlets to 6 and the exhausts to 11. Oddly, cylinders 1 and 2 were more out than 3 and 4 with the inlets opening-up slightly and the exhausts closing-up. Here are the measurements for valve1/valve2 for each cylinder:

INLETS 7/7 8/8 6/6 5/6
OUTLETS 10/10 9/9 11/11 11/11

Honda spec is 6-7 for inlets and 10-12 for out.

Tags:

anything