Author Topic: Buying another Hybrid !  (Read 2441 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Buying another Hybrid !
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
My current car has now reached 233,000 miles and the heater has packed up. I was quoted £600 to get it fixed by a local auto electrician. Today I called them to proceed and fix it, and they have backed down saying that they aren't sure they can fix it, and I should pass the job to Honda.
Meantime a fellow driving instructor has put their Hybrid up for sale, like mine a 2011 model, but the HX trim in blue with black leather interior, and of course it comes with dual controls fitted (worth £500).
So the plan is to run the HX over the winter months and my current car during the summer months, we soldier on !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Buying another Hybrid !
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Consistency -  a great achievement.

rogbro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
I really don't get Honda's  logic, on the Jazz hybrid.  The engine runs all the time. You can't
Drive on battery only. As other hybrids. My friend goes 30+ on the battery of his Prius..
What were they thinking.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
I am sure that the one I test drove did run on electric only, and to be honest I wasn't that keen as we had pedestrians walk out in front of the bright green demo car. So I was quite pleased that the car I had delivered was not a silent runner.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
When I had a hybrid Jazz it would occasionally run on battery under certain conditions (ie flat or helpful slope, no more than 40 mph and cruising with no acceleration). The underlying problem was that the hybrid hardware was previous generation with a small motor (13HP, IIRC) and low capacity but heavy battery. However, I did like Honda's IMA system with a motor/generator instead of a flywheel and wonder whether an improved version of the same (more powerful motor/generator, perhaps with 3 cylinder engine and/or Atkinson cycle) and higher capacity battery would work nicely. Running on battery alone isn't such a big benefit but boosting the performance of a sluggish but economical engine provides the big gain in efficiency.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

clackers49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 59 jazzex
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
well done Ozzie for that mileage looking at hybrid for my next Jazz they do seem more expensive though

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »
They are slightly more expensive compared to a non-hybrid model, but supposedly you get an extra 10mpg from the hybrids.

My car has 238,000 miles on it, so at the manufacturers 62mpg, that's 3838 gallons, compared to 52mpg which would be 4576 gallons, saving 738 gallons, or £4300, however I guess not everyone does the mileage I do.

Personally I like the extra 18bhp, the fuel economy is a bonus.

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
How is the new Jazz you purchased are their any significant difference in mpg between your current high miler and the new one ;) Was looking to bring in auto next year

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
How is the new Jazz you purchased are their any significant difference in mpg between your current high miler and the new one ;) Was looking to bring in auto next year
Hiya,
I didn't actually go through with the purchase.
My existing Jazz had a problem with the climate control which thanks to the helpful advice of ClubJazz members was fixed, so I deferred buying another Jazz for now.

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Excellent glad you got it fixed this is a very good forum lots of great info to kelp

Tags: