Author Topic: Spare Wheel 16"  (Read 7570 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Spare Wheel 16"
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »
hi all something interesting you may already know but having bought a jazz 1.4 Iv tec with 16" alloy wheels  185/55/16 I noticed no spare wheel only the pump and the gunge to repair the tyre, even after being given 3yrs AA from the dealer it still got me thinking, the inevitable puncture problem, it seems that 99% of jazz cars have 15" and obtaining the 16" spare is a problem. I looked at steel rims and the a budget tyre but again difficult to get the size for a sensible price but i did find a company on the net THE WHEEL SHOP they had in stock 16" space saver for £79 free delivery the 15" was £40 I thought this was a good deal as thinking of AA/RAC I know they carry a universal tyre ok its a wait of aprox 1 hour and hope the guy has one on board if he already has not had a previous call for it that day, and then you have to get it back to them, hassle  all for the sake of £79, and you can only use the gunge and pump once and you would have to replenish it more cost, and if the puncture was too big yove had it!!! no good, and if you do use it, the tyre is ruined maybe just for a small nail that could've been vulcanised mmmmmm!!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Spare Wheel 16"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
Why not just go to the scrappies and get a wheel and a tyre there. It does not have to be all that great. As long as it is legal.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
After all how often do you use a spare? It only has to get you home or to the tyre centre.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Stickshifter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 S 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
I finally got around to sorting out a spare tyre for my Jazz after tearing the sidewall of the front tyre on a rock by the side of a country road. The gunge would have been useless. Fortunately, it happened a few miles from home and within 100 yds of a garage so I wasn't left stranded!

After this experience, I looked at all the 2nd hand spacesaver options (mostly from old Rover cars) and they were about £40 off ebay. In the end I bought a new, full-size steel rim and tyre from Oponeo for £72. It cost more but when the front tyres wear out I can just swap the spare with the best of the fronts and only have to buy one new tyre so it'll work out fairly cheap.

For around £16 it's worth buying the hold down bolt and spreader washer from Honda to prevent the spare from coming loose within the car in the event of an accident. It the washer works for full-size or spacesaver rims. There's also a polystyrene tray that Honda sell as part of their spacesaver spare kit that sits above the tyre to better support the boot floor (which is thin and flimsy).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
After all how often do you use a spare? It only has to get you home or to the tyre centre.

I  am very happy that my wife has a full size spare - even if she calls the AA instead of me the guy can just put the spare on and she'll be on her way,  even if you get your 185/55R16 wheel to a tyre place the chances of them having a tyre that size are slim indeed (you are more likely to open a hens beak and find teeth in there).   I am seriously thinking of getting 15" alloys next year and fitting 175/65R15 tyres,  for a better ride and easier to get, more choice (and half the price ) to get than the 16" weird tyre.

The gunk and pump they supply are worse than useless, I have driven on a spacesaver a couple of times and it is not a pleasant experience.  I have summer tyres on alloys and winter tyres on steel for my Civic,  and when I measured the depth, length and width of wheel well the full size should go in comfortably,  but due to the angle you need to get on the wheel to lower it in diagonally it won't go past the corner of tyre,  I could loose pressure out to get it in,  but I think I would have to lose too much pressure.  So I have a spacesaver for Civic,  but would be much happier with a full size.   I may loose pressure out of tyre and get a pack of CO2 cylinders with an adapter to blow it up quickly if I ever need to use it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

mmm yes it s great if you have no spare???

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Why not just go to the scrappies and get a wheel and a tyre there. It does not have to be all that great. As long as it is legal.
yes great if you can find one locally!!! right size and price

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
.... 16" space saver for £79 free delivery the 15" was £40
.... you can only use the gunge and pump once .... the tyre is ruined maybe just for a small nail that could've been vulcanised mmmmmm!!!
Good prices and peace of mind over a second hand option, Rover spacesavers (pre-2005) are probably too old if they still have the original tyre.

A 15" spare is fine for a car with 16" wheels so long as the rolling circumference is near enough the same, it just needs the right tyre.  Many calculators on the net such as https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

OEM gunk is water soluble so if it works the tyre fitters will jet wash it out before vulcanising the nail hole. 

Our family fleet Mini Cooper's run-flat tyres are fairly 'direct' and let you know about every manhole you drive over.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
yes great if you can find one locally!!! right size and price
It only has to be off a Jazz. As an emergency get you home tyre I would have no qualms about putting on any size. The spacesaver tyre that was supplied with my Volvo was nowhere near the size of the other tyres, neither in width or diameter. All that matched was the PCD of the holes.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
A 15 inch space saver off a Rover 25/45 inc MG will fit. There are others makes but you will have to refer to a webs site that gives you comparative nut spacings and throw ( I think that's correct)  the web site which unfortunately cannot remember gives ALL compatibility. Some of the bigger breakers won't sell them as they claim it is Insurance that will not allow them to sell a tyre that is more than five years old.
Mine cost £25 from a small breaker. Michelin never been used and appears in order only put air in it once in three years. After all on a Rover it has always been covered up. As to the holding down bolt mine again came from a Rover  cost £2 from a breaker. Neither cost any extra as I was passing. My 2010 EX has the 'nut' already welded into the boot floor and it merely means cutting a small hole for the bolt  to pass through.
I notified my Insurers RSA and all they stated was as long as it was legal and only used as a get you home spare ( which is all spacesavers are for) they were not concerned. All I did was peel the 50mph sticker off the gunge? and stuck it on the wheel.

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
My local Honda main dealer says that the Mk 1 wheels are different to the Mk2 and are not interchangeable - anyone know what the difference is?
I've tried loads of scrappies without any luck for a 16" spare.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »
Same reply as in your other thread,  Mk1 wheels have a smaller diameter/circumference.

Spare does not need to be a 16" alloy, you can use a 15" steel from the base model with the correct tyre so they are the same circumference.

175/65R15   5.5Jx15 ET45   4x100   M12x1.5   56.1
185/55R16   6Jx16 ET53   4x100   M12x1.5   56.1
--
TG

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
For around £16 it's worth buying the hold down bolt and spreader washer from Honda to prevent the spare from coming loose within the car in the event of an accident. It the washer works for full-size or spacesaver rims.

Bought myself a spare alloy wheel plus the other bits and had a feel of the carpet in the boot but haven't found an obvious nut sitting proud of the boot well. Any tips on finding it outside of putting the wheel in and cutting into the carpet, like the nut is sunk so cutting the carpet is the only option of feeling it?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
The item your serching for is the raised part in the centre of the floor which has  a thread into which you turn the holding bolt/spacer.

Tags:

anything