Author Topic: Air con randomly turns on by itself  (Read 1914 times)

guest7027

Air con randomly turns on by itself
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
Here I am yet again...

Had my condenser unit replaced a few weeks back by Honda - ever since then the air con has randomly turned itself on a few times. No obvious rhyme or reason and it's going to be a pain to try and replicate the problem at the dealers as it only happens maybe once or twice a week.

I don't have climate control, just the standard manual controls. The fans are always in the feet and face position and as such should not engage the air con automatically unless the a/c button is turned on. The manual states that when you switch to any of the windscreen settings air con comes on automatically but I can confirm that on all occasions the air con has come on its own accord its not been on either of these settings.

I'm beginning to loose my patience with this car, nothing but trouble with it.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Air con randomly turns on by itself
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »
Hi Chris,
             How do you know that the aircon has come on, does the light in the selector switch come on?
What happens if you select the aircon to on, does it stay on or does the light go on and off?
When the aircon comes on at random can you hear the condensor cooling fan cycling on and off?

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
When it comes on by its own volition, can you switch it off from the switch?

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
Hi Vic - I notice the air con comes on when it starts blowing cold air, at this point I then check the air con light and it's turned on, green light on.

Jocko - if I press the air con button it turns off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:55:29 AM »
The air con switch, as far as I am aware, is a push for on/push for off. There is no latching logic attached to it. If I am correct in that, then the fact you can switch it off from the switch tells me the switch is faulty and occasionally makes of its own volition. To confirm this, you can either disconnect a lead from the rear of the switch (Pink probably best), or get another switch from the scrappies and replace it.
If you disconnect a wire then the air con should never come on again until you reconnect it. This would confirm the switch itself is in fact activating it.

guest7027

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
Thanks Jocko - The car is still under a Honda 12 month guarantee which covers air-con and electricals. I got the compressor done under this too.

I wouldn't want to mess around with anything myself as it would void the guarantee, it's just going to be a pig to try and reproduce and wondered if anyone had come across this before.

The last time it happened I do recall stalling the car beforehand so maybe this could of triggered it?

Although the times before this I didn't stall...

Tags: