Author Topic: Jump Start - where negative cable needs to be connected in the dead batterycar?  (Read 11599 times)

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
Hi Guys, my wife forgot the interior light on overnight and the battery went completly flat today.... I check the jump start procedure in the Honda jazz manual but I am not sure where I am supposed to attach the negative cable in my dead car.... in the manual is indicated a place closed to the screen washing liquid tank but it is not clear to me where this place is... does anyone have any suggestion? or any picture which would clarify the place? Thank you very much guys in advance

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
Expose the terminals on the battery in your car. Connect the negative to the negative charge, positive to the positive charge. If you are jump charging, rev the other car when attempting to start the dead one.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
1 connect red cable to good battery positive terminal.
2 connect other end to dead battery.
3 connect black cable to good battery negative terminal.
4 connect other end to earth point or other body part that is not painted.
You should not connect to the dead battery terminal as this could cause a spark and battery gas/vapuor is highly volitile and the battery may explode ( believe me as I have witnessed this ).
Start donor car, then start dead battery car, when dead battery car has started remove leads in reverse order.
Then go for a long drive.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

applicationcen

• Approved Member
1 connect red cable to good battery positive terminal.
2 connect other end to dead battery.
3 connect black cable to good battery negative terminal.
4 connect other end to earth point or other body part that is not painted.
You should not connect to the dead battery terminal as this could cause a spark and battery gas/vapuor is highly volitile and the battery may explode ( believe me as I have witnessed this ).
Start donor car, then start dead battery car, when dead battery car has started remove leads in reverse order.
Then go for a long drive.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Wow! Great advice, Didn't know there was an explosion hazard!

melanogaster81

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
question.. where is the earth point in the Jazz?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
There is an earth strap near the windscreen washer bottle that I think joins the body to the engine mount.  Use that.

Vic.

guest6586

When I jumpstarted a car several months ago, I indeed connected positive to positive, but with negative I used both cars bare metal as negative "pole". Some old man told me once, that it's better to use cars own grounding points rather than negative pole of the battery.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
Any bare metal including the engine block are negative

Tags:

anything