Author Topic: Used Jazz Buying Advise  (Read 5742 times)

guest6486

Used Jazz Buying Advise
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:29:59 PM »
Hi there, I am planning on making my first car purchase. I have found a 2009 Honda Jazz (automatic) that I am interested in. I have researched the car and it is very well suited to my needs. I have visited the dealer and the car looks like it has been well looked after. It has a full service history and regular MOTs. I am a little concerned about the millage though at 112,000. The cost of the car is £3000 which is my budget and comes with 6 month warranty. It all looks good on paper but could I expect some expensive repairs to crop up soon due to the high millage? Is it worth the money?
The model I am looking at is a 2009 1.4 Automatic EX. Is there anything in particular that I should look out for?

Thank You :)

guest6436

• Topic Starter
Re: Used Jazz Buying Advise
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:53:32 PM »
Hi there, I am planning on making my first car purchase. I have found a 2009 Honda Jazz (automatic) that I am interested in. I have researched the car and it is very well suited to my needs. I have visited the dealer and the car looks like it has been well looked after. It has a full service history and regular MOTs. I am a little concerned about the millage though at 112,000. The cost of the car is £3000 which is my budget and comes with 6 month warranty. It all looks good on paper but could I expect some expensive repairs to crop up soon due to the high millage? Is it worth the money?
The model I am looking at is a 2009 1.4 Automatic EX. Is there anything in particular that I should look out for?

Thank You :)

hello Sir, I think they asking £700-£800 too much for those miles.
is it worth the money? For that money why not just get something newer with less miles? People aren't really interested in buying small cars with those miles so you will have serious trouble getting anything much for it after you use it yourself and put on even more miles on it.

Nothing much to look out for I would think, except get the best equiped 1.4 model you can get? Those ones with the moonroof & leather are really sweet, but very very rare. I'm still waiting for a perfect one to appear  :P

Good luck!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »
As it is 2009, it is likely to be an automated manual gearbox - I Shift.

Jerky changes at times and an acquired taste. A long test drive with lots of roundabouts, traffic lights, queues etc to see if it works OK and if you can live with it.

Personally I would run a mile.

guest6486

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:15:36 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Good advise.
The problem i am having is that i cannot seem to find an automatic model for much cheaper. The closest i can find is a 2007 se cvt for £2600 at 90,000 miles with FSH.
Hypotheticaly, if i could get the dealer to bring the price down would the vehicle still be reliable at 112000 miles considering its FSH or would i expect expect many expensive problems to arise?

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:37:32 AM »
Does it HAVE to be an auto? The manual gearchange is a delight and it's a very light action & clutch is light too, even in heavy traffic after repeated use.

guest6486

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »
Ok  thanks for the advise. I am auto licenced so unfortunately i will always expect to pay a premium lol. Maybe i could make some sort of offer though and perhaps ask them to extend the warranty.
It is a lovely car although there seems to be a premium to pay for them. Even a 2005 or 2006 model at around 90000 miles is going for £2800.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »
I also drove auto cars for a long time because I was living a country where manual boxes were the exception  - and were special order, I was glad to get back to manual - would consider an auto only if I spent a majority  of time in city traffic,  which I dont.  I still love driving and changing gear when I want, which is also why I have a big motorbike as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
  I still love driving and changing gear when I want, which is also why I have a big motorbike as well.

Wow I am impressed by your big bike :o, just for your information I had and raced motorbikes for years probably before you were even born and ended with a 1000cc road bike for years.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
In my experience, garages know that small automatic cars are a premium so start off requesting a high price and then offer discounts if it hasn't moved after 60 days, or take a reduced offer if it makes them a profit. After 90 days the cars will be off to auction to get their money back, so make them an offer.
112,000 miles is hardly run-in, my car had more than that on its first MOT, reliability shouldn't be an issue unless you are unlucky.
The I-shift isn't as smooth as the CVT gearbox but its not bad once you get used to it, and pretty good especially if you haven't tried the CVT.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
Of all the marques you could consider buying anything with more than 60k on the clock - you can consider a Honda Jazz. 3k for 115k is high and I would say you can do better than that from a dealer.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Avoid the ishift try the CVT Honda had problems with I shift hence they changed back to CVT.
The mk 1 jazz is CVT I would personally get a reduction of £500 or so ..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Used Jazz Buying Advise
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
Avoid the ishift try the CVT Honda had problems with I shift hence they changed back to CVT.
The mk 1 jazz is CVT I would personally get a reduction of £500 or so ..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
What problems had Honda with the Jazz iShift?
I haven't found any, only some people who didn't liked the iShift because they compared it with the CVT. A lot of people translate this dislike to problems without ever have driving in one!
The iShift is a semi-automatic in which you can drive automatic and manual if you wish, that is the reason why i like it. It drives different than a full automatic (CVT) Jazz, but only when you're used to the latter. I coming from a manual car to an iShift the last year and 10,000 kilometer love it! The gearbox switches smooth and without problems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:11:30 PM by jazzway »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »
Not heard of any problems with an i-Shift, whereas CVT has been sensitive to fluid changes.  Some don't like the robotised manual of the i-Shift but that's more due to the lull in power during changes under heavy throttle.  Honda's latest generation hybrid is more like a dual clutch i-Shift with the electric motor smoothing the changes.  (One clutch to the 1-3-5 gear shaft, another to the 2-4-6 shaft)
--
TG

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
I had Ishift and the only 2 things i didnt like was cold engine it not changing from 1st to 2nd until high revs, also at give way junctions sometimes a little unsure what gear to be in, got in a habit was changing manual most of the time.
I have 15 Plate Mk2 now with CVT, although very smooth other than little jerk just before stand still, (I believe torque converter unlocking), I find no engine braking to slow down especially when cold and for some reason this car is doing less MPG than the Ishift even though we only just started the cold weather overall Ave MPG for CVT from March 36.3 for the Ishift 40 from 10-04-13 to 5-09-14 which includes one winter, this is all the same type of journeys mostly short drives to work. Think the CVT will cost more to service because of the oil changes.

From what I read of Daul clutch Autos there seems to be a lot of problems on german and fords dont really know how bad because it hard to judge on forums.

Had fiat 500 with duallogic gearbox which is similar to Ishift. It didnt have the cold engine problem, still had similar junction problem but didnt seem as bad mainly because more lowdown torque of the engine so if gentle on throttle it wouldnt change down but would pull away faster

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Used Jazz Buying Advise
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 01:40:11 AM »
I had Ishift and the only 2 things i didnt like was cold engine it not changing from 1st to 2nd until high revs, ...
That was my initial thing i didn't like too. But now when cold, i just put it manually to the 2nd for the first 50 meters and then go back to automatic. Problem of solved! ;)

Tags: