Author Topic: AAGGHH Yellow Stains on paintwork!  (Read 2717 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
AAGGHH Yellow Stains on paintwork!
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »
Ok Peeps, need some real help. Yellow stain left behind after removal of rubber strips-please read following:

Decided as today was 1 of most recent driest and warmest days to remove the 'protective' door strips from rear doors (as they were coming away anyway) and only ones on car.

So, set off armed with old debit card, wd40, rags, car clean and clean cloths. Actual removal of strips quite easy. On 1st door, took off strip easing away glue as I went, within 15 mins, protector strip removed and remaining glue rubbed off like chewing gum and no mess left. Quick wipe and clean and as good as rest of car paintwork (for a 6 year old car).

So, onto 2nd door strip and thinking this would be as easy, still taking time and care, again removed and all glue residue removed.

However, this is where I need help, the removal of 2nd strip has left horizontal yellow stain. I have tried all sorts including wd40, white spirit, lighter fluid and even cutting compound to no avail-however, I only tried these on small part of stain, and must have been rubbing for best part of an hour!  :o

The yellow stain does not appear to be on top of the paint and is smooth when I rub my hand over it. It actually feels as though it has blended into the car paint, whether this is possible I don't know. It feels as though only option left to try is wet/dry sanding, unless others have had similar problems and been more successful in their attempts, if so, how???

Hoping somebody has a definitive answer, please!

guest5505

Re: AAGGHH Yellow Stains on paintwork!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »
what colour car do you have? I know that red has a clear lacquer or something over it, that why my efforts at t-cutting mine were a complete waste of time. I suspect that unless it will polish out you'll have to live with it, re-spray or put strips back on.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
Decided as today was 1 of most recent driest and warmest days to remove the 'protective' door strips from rear doors (as they were coming away anyway) and only ones on car.

Are protection strips normally fitted to all 4 doors when specified as above.
Could a yellow door have been fitted when your car was repaired and subsequently sprayed to match but over some of the original glue residue before the protection strip was replaced? Then a matching strip applied to the undamaged door on the other side. There's a possibility you could see some of the original door colour underneath the interior trim panel.

Quite like the look of those trims myself.
--
TG

Driest? Warmest? Pretty much got flooded/drowned/cut-off down here today.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
Hi Alpine, car colour is storm silver metallic and the strips were black (unknown if they were original or previous owner put them on) and 'glued' on, I take it with some type of self adhesive.

Haven't yet tried T cut, bit thought cutting compound was a similiar exercise. May actually seek out t cut for nearest colour match and try this before resorting to wet/dry sanding.

Thanks for your input :-)

Hi TG, your reply came through as I started response to Alpine. Car is original colour and not resprayed etc. We're in NW and heard of storms down south-hope you not too badly affected!

Tags:

anything