Author Topic: No spare fittted  (Read 2618 times)

guest5079

No spare fittted
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
Having just bought a 2010 Jazz, which has no spare fitted, I was concerned about lacking the security of a spare wheel, especially when I read in my RAC conditions, that they, the RAC would NOT be responsible for any costs involved if a serviceable spare wheel was not carried on the vehicle. I have not had a puncture in many years but the worry is still there especially when if  like us you live in the West Country, where most of the time you are on dark lanes. I have read many 'forums' on the question of the lack of a spare wheel and decided to go to the option of a s/h space saver as per the very helpful 'wheelfitment.eu' download included in Forums. I went for the Rover 25/45  option. I went to a very large 'Vehicle Dismantlers' where I was told no can't sell you a s/h tyre that is more than five years old. Thinking I would have to shell out for a new Honda spare wheel, quite by accident came upon a garage that had more cars out front, beyond hope than being repaired. So I asked and a space saver was rescued from a MG ZR which was growing a good crop of grass. The wheel had been used BUT the tyre a Michelin looked in very good order. I know we cannot see inside a tyre but usually an inspection will show any major problem like heavy kerbing etc. This seemed fine and it was still inflated!!!!!. So a few pounds and I can at least know that should a puncture occur, my spare wheel is there AND I still have Honda's pump if it needs a top up.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: No spare fittted
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
My wifes Jazz Si came without a spare wheel,  and rather than go for a spacesaver I decided to get a set of 4 winter tyres on steel rims from mytyres and use one as a full size spare in summer and a summer tyre for spare in winter.  Set of 4 Nokians on steel rims cost £320 delivered, and having driven on a spacesaver in the past (not one of the greatest experiences of my life so far) I may get a set for Civic as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
Be aware that if the tyre on that spacesaver is  the original it will be at least 9 years old (ZR's were produced from 2001-05). Personally I would get it replaced as the rubber has likely perished.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
Thanks for the concern. Hopefully I will never need it but with a space saver, although we are told not to exceed  x miles an hour, I only bought the s/h wheel and tyre as an insurance and I would seriously consider not exceeding 30 mph and as I dislike motorways, not cos I am an old duffer (well I am ) but because I dislike the way people use them. I have also done my bit with blood and guts at RTA's so I prefer A roads if possible. Yes I know serious accidents occur on A roads, B roads and anywhere there are people and vehicles.  I personally, would, if I had to use it high tail it to the nearest tyre depot.
As to the ZR and 25 being pretty long out of production I had a 45 before the Jazz and the space saver in that still had Rovers part no label stuck to it. Not having ever been used and kept out of the weather, would that tyre be any more perished than some vehicles that are ten years old, hardly ever driven and still on the same tyres? Certainly a conundrum.

Tags:

anything