Author Topic: Tyre advice  (Read 12591 times)

guest1310

Tyre advice
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »
I have a 2011 Jazz EX which I have had from new, but I think I will need new tyres for the front soon, any general advice on which to buy?  I dont know if some are quieter or wear better than others, so any help would be appreciated.

guest4503

• Topic Starter
Re: Tyre advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
Steer clear of Dunlop .. Excuse the pun.. As reported on this forum they crack between the tyre tread.. I'm just about to change my fronts but undecided at the moment.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »
mitchelin wear the best of all tyres but are the most expensive but not too bad prices on the jazz half the price of my old civic tyres were and they were perelli  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
Michelin energy savers will give you good grip, good mileage and a quiet ride
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
Bought my Jazz second hand. Previous owner kerbed the car and replaced the Dunlop on the N/S front with a Continental Premium Contact. It has done 13,000 miles - the original Dunlop on the other side has done 14,500.

The Dunlop has the dreaded cracking between the treads and is almost down to 3mm. The Continental, which has only done 1500 miles less, has no cracks and a healthy 6mm left so could be good for 30,000 miles (ish).

Think I am going to go Continental when the time comes. You can get them fitted for about £92 per corner if you shop around on the internet.

guest1310

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice, the tyres I have are Dunlop and all have cracks in the tread, I went to a local tyre stockist earlier and he said its my lack of miles which has caused that, 16500 in two and a half years, he recommended Michelin energy savers, he quoted me £105 each fitted, but I have a service this friday so I might ask the Honda dealer what they think, thanks again guys.

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
My Dunlops were cracked between the treads, had an advisory on the MOT so now got Michelin energy savers from etyres as they come to work to fit them and balance,  also a lot quieter than Dunlops.

Dave

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
The advice I got was that the cracks between the threads were NOT an MOT issue unless they exposed the underlying structure of the tyre.

Nevertheless I don't like these cracks and I will look to replace the rears when they reach 6 years old. I'm replacing the front one that is now down to 3mm next week and will probably do the rears next year given I intend to keep the car a good long time (I only do 3,000 ish pa at the moment).

The Dunlop SP2030 is known to be prone to cracking and Honest John in the Telegraph said that the Nissan Note and the Jazz with these tyres were also known to suffer from cracking. To the best of his knowledge, however, he was unaware of this cracking leading to blow outs.

Shouldn't happen though should it? I have never come across this issue before.

apjazz

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
New cars delivered with Dunlop SP sport 2030 - 16" & Michelin Energy Saver - 15".

Re cracking of Dunlop tyres - has anyone asked Dunlop about it or for instance told Which Magazine?

Seems everyone talking about changing front tyres - why not rotate and have best available on front where needed and change all at same time - road noise then consistent, mixed sets gives a variable in handling etc.

apjazz

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
Re cracking between treads.
I see some of the original discussion on this is dated from 2009.
Rubber cracking to me is normally age related due certain elements of the rubber content deteriorating/leaching from the compound.
Check the age of your tyres, if much older than the vehicle or more then a couple of years old when sold as new consider them not fit for purpose depending on your mileage (5 year warrenty on Dunlop tyres) and normally tyres would be worn out in this time.
My EX bought in March this year has 3 tyres marked DOT EU7V YMYR 2913, the other ends 4413. The last four digits I believe indicate the tyres were made in the 29the and 44th week of 2013. (only 3 digits if tyre older than 2000).
If a defect is found on any product the manufacturer should be given an opportunity to respond, I asked Dunlop about this defect, and whilst not actually replying the response was;
"Thank you for your email,

Our passenger tyres are warranted for 5 years from date of manufacture or date of purchase if proof can be shown.  The warranty covers manufacturing and materials but not accidental damage to the tyre, natural wear etc caused during use.

To arrange for a warranty examination please ask the tyre retailer or vehicle dealer who supplied the tyres to arrange the return to us. Returning a product via the retailer who took your money for it best covers you under the sale of goods act.  Vehicle main agents and tyre dealers can send tyres back for inspection if they have an account with us.  If they do not have an account the return can be made through their wholesaler who will then arrange to return the tyre here on their behalf. 

David Mullin
Technical Customer Support & Service
08453 453453 option 3"

I would strongly advise anyone with defective equipment to follow this route as your rights are protected under the sale of goods act.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
My 2008 EX had Dunlops on from new. They wore down quickly. I'm now on my second set of Continental Premium Contact tyres. The Dunlops were changed about 10k miles, the first set of Contis at about 50k miles, and the car is currently at 70k miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
My 2008 EX had Dunlops on from new. They wore down quickly. I'm now on my second set of Continental Premium Contact tyres. The Dunlops were changed about 10k miles, the first set of Contis at about 50k miles, and the car is currently at 70k miles.

They do wear don't they quite apart from the cracking issue? On Continental, and referring to my post above, the one Conti on the car has only been on the front and, at 13,000 miles has the same amount of tread left as the rears (Dunlop) despite having done only 1500 miles more. An amazing contrast in longevity and they seem well worth the small amount extra they cost over the Dunlops.

guest1310

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:47:29 PM »
I had my 2011 EX serviced yesterday and I asked about the cracks in my Dunlops, and was told it was because I dont do enough miles, 16 and a half thousand in 33 months, anyway the fronts do need replacing very soon, and I will get Michelin Energy Savers, but the rear have plenty of tread left but have cracked also, so I am wondering if I should do all 4 at the same time, any thoughts?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
IMHO tyres shouldn't be cracking on a car less than 3 years old no matter how many miles you do, that is the kind of thing you expect to see on tyres over 6 years old.  I would have all tyres done at once as you will probably get a better price.
Have you checked the DOT panel week / year numbers to make sure exact age of tyres.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
IMHO tyres shouldn't be cracking on a car less than 3 years old no matter how many miles you do, that is the kind of thing you expect to see on tyres over 6 years old.  I would have all tyres done at once as you will probably get a better price.
Have you checked the DOT panel week / year numbers to make sure exact age of tyres.

It's always worth doing. My car was registered on 31st May 2010 but the tyres were made in week 50 of 2009 so they will be six years old in December 2015 rather May 2016.

Tags:

anything