Author Topic: Juddering Pull Away  (Read 5817 times)

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
Juddering Pull Away
« on: November 25, 2023, 01:28:00 PM »
I'd appreciate some diagnosis help.

My MK2 occasionally has a juddering feeling when pulling away from stand-still. I think it's worse when cold. It has become worse over the last month or so.

It FEELS like the front passenger side tyre is slipping, then gripping repeatedly for a moment.

However, I swapped tyres and no change.

I also thought it might be the clutch, but I think that is ruled out. With the handbrake on I can lift the clutch and it smoothly pulls against the brake. Also rolling at idle speed I can rev the engine and drop the clutch and it just immediately and cleanly pulls without slip. I have no clutch slip in any gear.

Once moving I can detect no juddering or knocking sounds if I floor it in any gear. Nor does the handling feel strange or make noises when cornering.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Juddering Pull Away
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
Please clarify your Jazz year spec , when last serviced, current mileage. Also what work done or checked immediately before this issue.
The forum will be able to help.

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 01:46:55 PM »
Jazz is 2012 1.2 ivtec, I think about 110k miles.

Last MOT I think in March and no issues found.

When I changed the tyre I had a look at suspension bits and didn't see anything clearly broken but it is difficult to see the rubber bits.

I wasn't sure if the sway bar should be so easy to move, so I took a video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n9LfbZNCAeD1eJvu9
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 02:09:07 PM by ssashton »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 04:32:38 PM »
Looks like the drop-link joints have had it from what I can see. It's not that unusual and not particularly expensive nor difficult to change them.  Always do them as a pair,  if one is shot the other won't be far behind.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 05:35:06 PM »
Looks like the drop-link joints have had it from what I can see.

Either that, or the anti-roll bar bushes?  Or could the judder be engine or gearbox mounts on the way out?  Just a thought...

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 07:09:03 PM »
The Honda manual is here: look under suspension-"Front Stabilizer Link Removal/Installation "

https://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

I found Febi brand parts at CarPartsInMotion £10.70 ea. Bargain! eBay item number:235002847265

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 12:07:24 AM »
I feel like I'm leading you all to the conclusion because I mentioned the sway / anti roll bar.

Could it be anything else? Maybe shock?

Wish-bone bushings wouldn't do this, would they? Engine mount issues should knock under full acceleration, right?

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:43:09 AM »
I agree with anti roll bar. I've not touched the arb on my Jazz, but they shouldn't move about like yours does. It looks like it's swinging freely, and that shouldn't be the case.

The arb is attached to the subframe with two bushing and at the end with a link. Get a pry bar and see if the arb is moving about in the bushings. If not, it's the links.

Yeah, it could be any of the other items you mention, but I would start with the arb as it's moving about a lot. That, and it's a cheap enough fix.

Out of interest, have you compared it to the other side to see if it's the same?

Remote diagnosis is tricky, but check out videos on Youtube (it's what I do to learn! So much easier than trying to work from a Haynes manual like we had to years ago. :D)

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 12:50:22 PM »
Doing drop links is easy, but anyone know how easy changing the sway bar bushings is?

I had another car where getting the bolts out the bushing clamp was blocked by other stuff making it a PITA.

Hmm.. looks easy enough on video of other Honda like MK1 or Pilot.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:58:06 PM by ssashton »

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 08:55:52 AM »
FYI the video I linked is actually for a mk2 Jazz. You can see the dash early on in the vid that confirms.  ;)

Tags: