Author Topic: Front Wheel Toe Angle?  (Read 19111 times)

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
Front Wheel Toe Angle?
« on: November 23, 2023, 05:48:53 PM »
Does anyone know what the correct front toe angle is for the Jazz MK2?

I noticed today that both my front tyres are more worn on the inside edge than the outside. I'm aware a small amount of toe-in is normal but thought this looked a bit more than other cars I've owned.

X25DJB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 IMA HS
Re: Front Wheel Toe Angle?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:46:30 PM »
I thought that incorrect toe in would result in feathering of the tyres
Dissimilar wear sounds more like a camber issue. i.e. how much the tyres lean out or in vertically.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:14:13 PM »
What is feathering? (no worries I looked it up).

Is camber not set by the fixed strut and wishbone geometry?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 11:17:06 PM by ssashton »

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 11:24:31 PM »
Interesting image here (not sure how 'true' it is) but shows camber as affecting the tread depth progressively over the full tyre, while toe mostly on the edge.

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »
Had a look at my Chilton's manual and was surprised that there are no figures given for adjustment / setup.

All it seems to say is "this is technical - take your car to a garage".  Very helpful for a workshop manual!!

It may be the angle at which the photo was taken but the wear appears to be fairly even on both sides, which indicates that the problem is under-inflation (there is plenty of tread in the centre portion).  I have found that I need to regularly check my tyre pressures on the Jazz more often than most of my previous cars.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 09:43:53 AM »
My apprentice mechanic son does alignments at work. I have asked if he can find out, but all the data comes up live on the computer once the tracking kit is on the car. They don't keep a reference book anymore.

From your photo, both outer edges look worn. I'd agree with GBH,  that's tyre wear caused by under inflation.

Does the car steer straight? Have you had it long?

Most garages will check alignment for free. Get it checked to be sure.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 09:46:23 AM by Westy36 »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 10:43:56 AM »
Maybe the advice to go to a garage is because its kind of pointless knowing the angles /measurement unless you also  have the equipment to accurately measure it.

To the list of possible reasons, tyre pressure etc, I would add habitual use.
 My  commute used to include  a sharp U turn  every day  . I did this a bit too  enthusiastically , which increased the scrubbing to the outer edge of my nearside front tyre.  Over time  this showed as more wear,  although the tyres were pretty much due for replacement anyway by then.   No problem with the tracking ,just me.  Solved the problem the best way  - no longer going to work every day    :P   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 11:21:44 AM »
Looks like excessive toe out to me, needs steering checking for worn components and tracking reset.

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 11:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

I don't really trust the tracking places, they will just turn the steering a little bit to make it register as needing adjustment. Got the tracking done on my past car, took it to another garage for a free check and they said it needed doing. Lol.

I was thinking to make a jig to hold a laser pointer on the back wheel and a target on the fronts.

Anybody got the print out from having their tracking done?

And.. I do always make a tight right-hand turn!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 11:48:57 AM by ssashton »

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 11:58:34 AM »
I do my own tracking with a Trackace laser gauge on my my mk2 jazz. Set it at 1 to 2mm toe in. The main thing is to check for wear, and replace anything worn before tracking, and monitor tyre wear when checking tyre pressures.

ssashton

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 01:18:46 PM »
Yeah something is not right with the car at the moment so I should get that sorted before doing tracking. I was hoping it was just the worn tyre but it's not. I'll start a new thread.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 04:26:28 PM »
As others have commented,  the tyre looks well worn all across with a little extra at the edges,  not much life left.  It's not that unusual for a tyre near the end of its life,  but if it also feels a bit off then worth investigating. 
A broad guide is that too much toe-in makes the steering feel a bit dead, not responding to small inputs from the driver. Too much toe-out tends to make it feel rather nervous and wanting to go left or right a bit too easily,  not sitting in a straight line stably.
If checking it yourself,  bear in mind that rear wheels often have some toe-in built in to the axle beam to make it stable,
 don't assume they are parallel.

Tags: