Author Topic: What gear do you choose to park i-shift  (Read 4450 times)

danielb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 I-VTEC (I-Shift) 2009
What gear do you choose to park i-shift
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:05:40 PM »
Hello there!

As you know the Honda Jazz with I-shift gearbox does not to have "park gear".

So I was wondering what is the best way to park it (in addition to the handbrake, of course).

Do you leave it in neutral, reverse, automatic?

Many thanks!

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Re: What gear do you choose to park i-shift
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 11:18:57 PM »
I leave mine in neutral with handbrake on

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
With the Jazz having disc brakes all round, I was advised by a Honda technician to firmly apply the footbrake and hold it while you apply the handbrake. The handbrake on some cars can be decidedly inefficient otherwise.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »
I park mine in N. It's like a manual car, you leave it in N with Handbrake on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:35:15 AM »

Noooooohhhhh - always leave a manual car in first gear as well as the handbrake ( or reverse ) the handbrake cable is under tremendous strain and especially with disc brakes as the disc cools and shrinks the pads get less grip.  In a proper automatic or a CVT with a 'P' position there will be a proper mechanical lock on the transmission in the form of a pin or suchlike - so if you ever select park while the car is moving it can be quite spectacular and expensive....

When parked on a hill it is recommended that you turn your front wheels so that if the car tries to roll away the wheel nearest the kerb will roll into the kerb and stop the car going any further.

If you get into the really bad habit of only leaving vehicle in gear 'sometimes' ( like don't leave it in gear on level ground ) it means you may leave it in neutral on a hill sometimes and have a lot to explain to the police and your insurance company if the car rolls away.... Also as Jocko has posted several times apply the footbrake before pulling handbrake on and the handbrake gets a better grip,

I would assume that because i-shift gearbox has a normal clutch and gearbox ( the clutch operation and gear selection are automated ) that the clutch rests in the engaged position ie connecting engine to gearbox, so that you can still leave the car 'in gear',
https://www.civinfo.com/threads/i-shift-parking-and-neutral-mode.29786/

Not really about parking but some good tips for using the i-shift system  https://dunkvshondaishift.blogspot.com/2010/02/our-first-one-thousand-i-shift-ed-miles.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:00:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
From https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/
Parking on a hill
When you’re parking on a hill, you can use the wheels and the engine to make sure the car can’t roll away in case the parking brake fails.

Turn the wheels slightly towards the kerb: if the car rolls, it will steer into the kerb and stop.
Leave the car in gear: if the parking brake fails, the engine should stop the wheels turning. (This only applies to a car with manual gears.)

This is also in the Highway Code.  Facing uphill, first gear.  Facing downhill, reverse gear
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:21:47 AM by ColinS »

danielb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 I-VTEC (I-Shift) 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
Thank you all for  your replies.

I leave mine in neutral with handbrake on

I see those who have i-shift cars park in Neutral + handbrake. Did you have any experience parking in hills /downhills in such way? Have you ever tried to park leaving the gear in R, A or even switching to M and 1st gear?

With the Jazz having disc brakes all round, I was advised by a Honda technician to firmly apply the footbrake and hold it while you apply the handbrake. The handbrake on some cars can be decidedly inefficient otherwise.
I assume that this is good also for i-shift. Thank you for the tip.

I would assume that because i-shift gearbox has a normal clutch and gearbox ( the clutch operation and gear selection are automated ) that the clutch rests in the engaged position ie connecting engine to gearbox, so that you can still leave the car 'in gear',

Not really about parking but some good tips for using the i-shift system  https://dunkvshondaishift.blogspot.com/2010/02/our-first-one-thousand-i-shift-ed-miles.html

I read the articles before posting and it is still not clear to me. For Manual transmission is crystal clear and for i-Shift I can assum the same, however I-shift is a mix that I cannot understand, yet. That's why I woud like to know real life experience from i-shift users to sleep calm in the nights ;).

I also read this entry: in which the driver used to feel bad parking in neutral, but only because he used to have the CTV version before.
So when after upgraded from the old model Jazz to the new model - from CVT to I-Shift - it felt wrong leaving the car in neutral with the just the parking brake holding the car.
http://dunkvshondaishift.blogspot.com/2010_02_28_archive.html

Any more i-shift parking experiences to share?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
I also read this entry: in which the driver used to feel bad parking in neutral, but only because he used to have the CTV version before.
So when after upgraded from the old model Jazz to the new model - from CVT to I-Shift - it felt wrong leaving the car in neutral with the just the parking brake holding the car.

In that same article the driver said "The I-Shift system operates the clutch during starting to reduce load on the starter motor and also to prevent the car from moving whilst the starter is operating if the car is in gear."

That would indicate to me that the clutch is engaged when the starter is not operating.  Easy way to test this is to park on a flat road, leave the handbrake off, engage reverse and then try to push the car.  Or you could park on a hill and do the same (obviously not trying to push it from the outside) and see if the gearbox holds it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
For me the civinfo article is the best, the civic will have same system as the Jazz and Fit, so the experience of the posters will be the same as for a Jazz owner.

Quote 'Neutral is the only position that will not engage the gearbox'

also.

'When parked leave the car in first or reverse gear before switching off ignition. That is the close equivalent of 'P' in a standard automatic. You will have to apply the footbrake, after switching on the ignition, to select neutral before pressing the big red button to start the engine.

When driving do not attempt to select neutral otherwise you will have to apply the footbrake to engage drive again. Goodness knows what that could do to your gearbox! There may even be a limiter to stop you doing that operation whilst in motion.

I was recently in a traffic jam through roadworks. There was a downward slope so, as I had selected neutral whilst stationary, I released the brake to gently cruise forward.

On the third time of doing this the cars in front suddenly speeded up. I had to brake in order to select 'Drive' much to the surprise of the following cars!'
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:49:25 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 11:30:11 PM »
From my experience, the i-shift is not as durable as other automatic system, mine broke down at 88k miles. So the less strain on the gearbox better-therefore, best to leave it in N when not in use.

Most important for me is that the handbrake is probably adjusted so it holds the car in any circumstances.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 06:12:15 AM »
So if I leave my manual gearbox car in gear when parked and I get gearbox problem I can blame the zero miles travelled while parked and not the moving miles when gearbox is actually working !  May be better to leave engine running when I park my car because it will be damaged by not running.  An I-shift is exactly the same clutch and gearbox as a purely manual car, with a bit of automation added, and I cannot see that parking in gear will damage the automation bit, which is completely turned off when ignition is off..

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
Always facing uphill, first gear, facing downhill, reverse gear. Plus handbrake.

Tags:

anything