Author Topic: VSA check system! Help!!  (Read 7657 times)

MariamcBertie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 09 semi automatic
VSA check system! Help!!
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »
Hi new to this forum business. Car has intermittent vsa check system warning when braking sometimes. Clears when engine restarted. Seems to be happening more often now even when I turned the VSA off? No codes on our reader. Booked in for diagnostics but worried repairs will be more than car is worth. As was supposed to last a few years as spent what is for me a small fortune hoping I could trust it 😭 anyone with similar problem/possible outcomes?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: VSA check system! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Welcome. From a Honda main dealer's publication.
You can continue to drive with the VSA warning light on, as you will have normal braking and cornering abilities, just without the stability enhancements the VSA System provides.
Doesn't cure the problems, but makes it easier to live with.

Have a read of this.
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/RL0000/RL0000O00189A.pdf

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
Thank you, I was concerned that it would compromise the brakes but if it doesn't that's a massive bonus! It's like googling a spot...every outcome is the worst. I'd read somewhere that the vsa moduwotsit would cost nearly £2000 at dealership....madness

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:02:23 AM »
Thank you, I was concerned that it would compromise the brakes but if it doesn't that's a massive bonus! It's like googling a spot...every outcome is the worst. I'd read somewhere that the vsa moduwotsit would cost nearly £2000 at dealership....madness

There are various sensors on the car that are to do with VSA but not ABS (although the VSA does use ABS system to selectively brake wheels) - these are steering angle sensors and a accelerometer (gyro) - the steering angle sensors know the amount the steering is turned and in which direction relative to the direction the car is traveling and together with the gyro can sense side-slip and other anomalies - which it will try to correct by braking individual wheels and cutting engine power.  If it detect drive wheels spinning it will also brake the non-spinning' wheel to try and correct the differentials normal habit of putting all power to the spinning wheel and VSA will cut engine power to stop the spinning  (traction control) .
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:20:14 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »
But any idea why it would randomly say check system and then clear? I'm thinking if it's not happening at the diagnostics they wont know either.....and waste of money

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
I have read reports of that fault developing then going after a new battery is fitted. Perhaps your battery is putting out a lower voltage than the sensor would like and it is enough to ask you to check. What does the manual say to do when that light shows up? My Jazz is relatively unsophisticated, electronics wise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »
I have read reports of that fault developing then going after a new battery is fitted. Perhaps your battery is putting out a lower voltage than the sensor would like and it is enough to ask you to check. What does the manual say to do when that light shows up? My Jazz is relatively unsophisticated, electronics wise.

Dodgy batteries are responsible for a lot of problems on vehicles, someone on the forum had big problems with  power steering until they replaced the battery and then everything OK.   If not sure of age of your battery there are  codes that can tell you the age,  but battery is not the most expensive item for a car anyway.  IMHO five years is the longest a battery can be reliably left on a vehicle (unless it is one of the super-dooper over £150 lifetime batteries) and it is living on borrowed time after that, and could let you down at any time.  The battery is not just there so that you can have the radio on with engine stopped,  it is a much misunderstood (and often neglected and abused) and important part of the vehicle
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Thanks for replies. Manual says to pull over restart engine and be happy if it clears, but if keeps happening go to dealer. Happened four times yesterday and non today, lots of dodgy back lane driving today so would have thought it would go off! If dealer finds nothing or finds too much I.e wants to do unnecessary work will give the battery a thought. It's nearly 10 years old and haven't a clue if ever changed

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »
Incase it help someone in the future, it was a faulty brake pedal position switch all sorted but caliper was binding...more work to do at home  :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing your final outcome. May help someone in future.

Tags: