Author Topic: Insurance shock.  (Read 23497 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Insurance shock.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2024, 05:06:28 AM »
When speaking with my broker friend yesterday he said my insurance rise is about right and he's heard of unacceptable DL quotes

What he did mention is that Chinese BYD have no parts network setup in the UK and he has heard of their cars having to be written off because spare parts are just not available

He pays just north of £500 for his Mazda CX-30 now and he did a paper exercise on a BYD Seal ....... £4,000 !!!!!
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2024, 12:18:30 PM »
I read something about this the other day.  Its not just BYD but other Chinese makers, and expected to affect some other Chinese makers planning to enter the UK market soon.    Its partly the shortage ,and long delays  for parts,  but also a lack of information  about how the cars can be repaired.

The Uk insurance industry claim its because  the Chinese makers dont understand the Uk market,  where insurers  strive to return damaged cars to as good as new in the  shortest possible time    (But not necessarily cheaply   :( )
But in China and other Asian countries its more common for  even quite new cars  with a lot of crash damage  to be  repaired in a  very labour intensive way by a large workforce of very low paid panel beaters. 

Thus the Uk repair/insurers often write off a chinese car thats should be repairable.     But they are not squeaky clean. No doubt many  are bought cheap and repaired cheaply using more  'traditional skills' ,and making use of used parts etc. . (or stolen parts which again puts up insurance premiums ).   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2024, 02:16:26 PM »
Re insurance shock, this post is about a nice shock!

My lad is 19yrs old, 2 yrs NCB and full licence. No claims or convictions, so full credit to him. He drives a 2012 Civic mk9 1.8 petrol and we were expecting the renewal to be c£3000. Admiral have renewed his policy for £1550 comprehensive with a 400xs 14k miles per annum. I've checked all the details and it is correct. Premium paid in one as he's saved up expecting a £3k bill. Yeah, a nice surprise.  :D

Tags:

anything