Author Topic: airflow switch jammed  (Read 1563 times)

guest6861

airflow switch jammed
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
The switch which controls the airflow to the car (windscreen, feet, dash vents etc) does not traverse all the way round. It does not revolve to the windscreen setting for demisting. I've removed the panel to look under the switch but nothing seems obviously wrong. Ideas anyone?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: airflow switch jammed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »
You can get a look from behind if you remove the glove box liner, it just pulls out forwards on a couple of friction clips.  The switch is connected by cable to a lever on the heater air exchange box.  Could be a piece of debris has bypassed the cabin filter or a child fed coins into a vent?
--
TG

guest6861

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Thanks DG! Removing the glove box liner revealed a nylon quadrant which worked a cam which moved the connection to the windscreen vent. I poked and fiddled with it and it started working. No idea what I did but I guess I unjammed something. Now all working OK.

Another problem I have is water in the spare wheel well. It's not coming from the tailgate seal. Could it be leaking from the rear light clusters? If so, how easy are they to remove and reseal?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
Pleased it's fixed.

The water in the wheel well is quite common with the earlier cars, I had many years ago but fixed it fairly easily.

The drivers side roof gutter is where most find the water is entering.  The panel sealant at the rear end is a bit crumbly and a fine crack can let in a surprising amount of water. 

You can remove the rubber insert by pushing it backwards at the front by the windscreen while lifting 6" or so behind, this will disengage from the pin.  Peel it back and disengage from the rear pin.  You might be able to disengage just the rear but the manual suggests starting at the front.  If a paint brush bristle can be pushed through a crack in the sealant close to the tailgate then water will also get through.

Scrape it back for an inch or so and replace with a polyurethane (such as PU40 from Toolstation) which can be over-painted with some touch-up.  Don't be tempted to use a bathroom sealant. 

I didn't take pictures when I fixed my car, but I scraped back a junk car to demonstrate, I scraped back more than needed just to check but the gap was only at the top.  See attached images.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything