Author Topic: 2002 Jazz boot locked shut  (Read 1518 times)

DaveMc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 2002
2002 Jazz boot locked shut
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:07:38 PM »
Hi all

My boot on my 2002 is locked shut. I've tried WD40 and silicon spray and no good. I've therefore taken off the inside panel to get a better look. No bolts there to take out the mechanism as far as I can see. Does anyone know how to open this and/or have a drawing of the mechanism to see if there is a way to push open the lock. I've tried the lever above the lock but that has no effect moving it either way although any tips on this would be good. Thanks!!

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: 2002 Jazz boot locked shut
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:06 PM »
From the owners manual, emergency tailgate release, move the lever that is visible through the access hole to the right.

DaveMc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 2002
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
Hi both. Thanks for the diagram. Also I've tried putting the lever to the right. It does move but still doesn't unlock it. Maybe I'll use a bit more force on it but don't want to bugger it up!! Not a mechanic me  ;D

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
Apologies if this is on the wrong track, I don't have a Mk1.

Is the manual unlock/release a 2 stage thing, i.e. turn the key to unlock, then turn further to release the latch? I'm just wondering if to release it from inside you first have to make sure the lock is unlocked. Again, sorry if this is not relevant.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 04:32:42 PM »
Is the manual unlock/release a 2 stage thing, i.e. turn the key to unlock, then turn further to release the latch? I'm just wondering if to release it from inside you first have to make sure the lock is unlocked. Again, sorry if this is not relevant.
It may be that the lock has to be unlocked (turn key clockwise for tailgate) to allow the lever to be pushed to the right through the access hole.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
Hi both. Thanks for the diagram. Also I've tried putting the lever to the right. It does move but still doesn't unlock it. Maybe I'll use a bit more force on it but don't want to bugger it up!! Not a mechanic me  ;D

That lever under the small access bung in the inside of tailgate does not seem to do much, certainly did not help on our MK1's or 2's when tailgate would not open.  It may well override the lock if everything is lined up and synchronised.. but see below.

You need to find the unlock lever on the outside of tailgate,  the one you normally use that hides above the number plate, unlock the car using central locking, push the lever FULLY forwards towards front of car, lock the car again then then unlock, the tailgate will open as normal.  The lever has to be really, really fully forward - when the hinge either side of the plastic lever get rusty the return spring cannot push lever fully forward,  and internal mechanism fails to synchronize properly with the internal lock mechanism.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:01:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 07:54:02 PM »
You need to find the unlock lever on the outside of tailgate,  the one you normally use that hides above the number plate, unlock the car using central locking, push the lever FULLY forwards towards front of car, lock the car again then then unlock, the tailgate will open as normal.  The lever has to be really, really fully forward - when the hinge either side of the plastic lever get rusty the return spring cannot push lever fully forward,  and internal mechanism fails to synchronize properly with the internal lock mechanism.
This ^^^

Culzean's advice here did the trick for me. Once it is open, lubricate with 3-in-1 oil or something, or it will just happen again.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
I was just about to post the same thing... when I got to the end, I saw you beat me to it!

Tags: