Author Topic: Harness cable sizes to tailgate door  (Read 645 times)

BrummPopBang

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 5dr Hatchback 1.4 I-Vtech ES L13Z1
Harness cable sizes to tailgate door
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
Jazz MkI 2005

I have listed the cable sizes for the tailgate wiring harness below to help anyone brave enough to take out a fractured harness and repair it. It's not too difficult but a bit nerve-wracking first time round. I treated myself to a decent micrometer and measured the cores several times.

When re-fitting the chassis end of the boot, first carefully remove any old sealant from the groove around the spigot-end. On close inspection I found some of what appeared to be old, possibly original, sealant that would not let the boot spigot sit in the hole properly.

The effort required to push the spigot into the hole was significantly reduced by coating the groove and chamfered spigot end with silicon sealant. Indeed without sealant I could not push it in. And once in place it was sealed which is vital if you don't want the wheel well to fill up with water. There's more to this point which I will post in due course. I found other areas that leak which have never been reported to my knowledge and I have hunted high and low.

Insert the forward-facing part of the boot spigot-end first (the hidden part pointing away from you) and use a substantial blunt screwdriver to push on the thick area at the back of the boot (facing you) around the spigot. I found it slipped in with a click. But be sure you don't jab or cut the thinner section of the boot otherwise you are in big trouble...

The harness fractured in early 2020 inside the rubber boot linking the hatchback door to the chassis. I found it had been agent-repaired once, but to restore the operation of the lock it needed a temporary fix. It failed again early in January this year. So I pulled it out, grafted in new conductors and while I was at it, measured their sizes in the hope it provides useful info for other owners.

There are four larger cables (black with no separate ID) and seven smaller cables in the harness (inc 2x small black with pairs of repeated silver dots). The upper stop-light cable is grafted onto one of those conductors.

lg=large cable and sml=small cable

lg/smlcolourStrandsDia(mm)Area (mm.sq)
LBk360.211.25
SWt/Bk180.230.75 (with pairs repeated silver dots)
SBk70.260.37
SGn190.190.54
SGn/Bk190.190.54
SLgn190.190.54
SRd/Bk190.190.54
City Electrical Factors supply a 'control' cable which is quite flexible. CY1.54C = 4 core 1.5mm2 and CY0.757C = 7 core 0.75mm2. And of course longer lengths of fewer cores works as well. I stripped the cores out to graft into the harness.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:32:57 PM by BrummPopBang »
Kind regards
Stephen Ford

Tags: