Author Topic: Fuel odour inside car when starting up, light jerking when driving  (Read 5118 times)

guest817

I am a new member to the site - I have just bought a second hand Honda Jazz sport 1.4 52 reg, manual in iris pearl.  I have never had a Honda before. Although its a dream to drive and look at, the smell knocks me sick when I start it up as it smells of petrol, once started the smell mainly subsides.  When I go to my car when its been stood a while you can still smell traces of it.  There do not appear to be any leaks.  When driving most of the time it is smooth but tends to jerk at times when increasing/decreasing acceleration in gear.  I know the Jazz can be bouncy on suspension - its a back and forth jerk not an up and down suspension jerk if you get my drift.
Can anyone give me any pointers as to what the problem might be if there is one and should I take it back to the showroom I got it from whilst under 3 month warranty.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Fuel odour inside car when starting up, light jerking when driving
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »
yes definitely take it back especially the fuel related problem, also get them to check the suspension over

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Lyn , Any issues involving petrol  - these fumes are very dangerous - there is only one course of action
> back to the garage, ask them to investigate and rectify without delay.

A call to the previous owner may be worthwhile....

guest775

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
Hi, with regards to the jerking if it is engine related as opposed to suspension I would suspect this to be the EGR valve as I had the same symptoms and that was the cause.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
The jerking is probably the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve stuck open (it is only supposed to opened by a solenoid at higher revs and its job is to allow some of the exhaust gases into the inlet manifold to cool down the combustionn and reduce emissions.

The petrol smell in the car could be that someone has had the cover off the petrol tank to replace the filter, sender unit or pump and has not replaced the gasket to seal it properly. The filter is housed under a plate which lives below the handbrake lever.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything