Author Topic: loss of power  (Read 5747 times)

achilles

loss of power
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »
i have a 05 honda jazz. around christmas time, whilst driving the engine would lose power and the yellow malfunction light would pop on. engine would basically go to idling revs, and would not accelerate when pedal pressed. whilst this happened, the engine would sound as if it was misfiring and splutter. by turning engine off and on the problem would go away. my mechanic though it may be the THC or the throttle potentiometer. however he was not sure. the problem stopped with out any repair done, and i placed it down to either the cold weather or dirty petrol.
however this week it has came back with  a vengence, 4 times in one trip the problem reoccurred. also today the engine has started to rev by itself. effect is similar to tapping the acelerator,  revs go from 1000 to 1500 and back down again. again turning on and off the key resolved this issue.
 i have booked the car into a honda mechanic to get it checked, but would appreciate  any insights someone might have on this issue. many thanks.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: loss of power
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I had a similar problem on a Vauxhall Nova. Went to Vauxhall dealer's to be hooked up to the computer, but they couldn't find what was wrong.

In the end I changed the throttle potentiometer and it was fixed.

You could have the same problem or it could be the EGR valve which is much more common. Have a look on this website under common faults on GD Jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: loss of power
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »
also today the engine has started to rev by itself. effect is similar to tapping the acelerator,  revs go from 1000 to 1500 and back down again. again turning on and off the key resolved this issue.

Are you sure someone hasn't fitted a Toyota throttle to your Jazz  :(
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything