Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2009 onwards - I-Shift July Recall  (Read 26891 times)

guest3190

Honda Jazz 2009 onwards - I-Shift July Recall
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
Hi,

Has anyone that has an I-Shift gearbox on their Jazz and who has got the Honda recall for an inspection of their shift changer actually had it done yet and what was the result. Im booked in for Thursday, but I read that it takes an hour at least to do the inspection and software upgrade but if they find a fault it means a gearbox removal.  Just wondered if people had any information following their checks?

Regards

Mark

guest516

• Topic Starter
Re: Honda Jazz 2009 onwards - I-Shift July Recall
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
Hi Ouzy
Took my EX i-shift in yesterday (Friday)
One hour later drove away - battery had been disconnected
No other signs - presume all done by computer link up
Gears seem a little smoother as though clutch reset & change pattern altered  but possibly all in the mind
Still enjoying Jazz motoring & despite other opinions love the i-shift & the control it gives
Oui-oui

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
i have a 2010 i shift not heard anything about a recall, do they the dealer get in touch with you ?.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Honda dealer workshop manager told me it is a firmware update and they were not notifying customers specially.  He reckoned it is very minor.   He also said that they get "Factory bulletins" every week from Honda Japan and they mostly refer to such obscure matters (how to better position a tyre on a rim for instance) that they just read it through once.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3190

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
Boatman and Chrisc I received a letter from Honda saying its a recall. Another forum says that its quite serious and is something to do with wear on the gear shifter and a software issue in that the i-shift can think its in neutral and actually be in reverse...

Anyway talking of I-Shift, it was what about 26/27 today and hotter in the car, I used my i-shift gear changer a lot to pull out at roundabouts, but I found that due to the heat when you shifted forward that it was getting stuck. Once the temperature in the car cooled, it was okay again. Anyone else get that????

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
There's a web site where you can check whether there are any outstanding recalls for your car. You just enter your VIN number. It's......

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandyourcar/recallsandupdates/

I have a 2010 EX and when I entered my VIN number it said everything was fine, so this i-Shift issue must just be a certain few cars, and they're writing to the owners individually.

Haven't had any cases of my gear selector getting stuck in hot weather. That's a weird one!

guest986

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
The link above doesn't seem to work for me, but I received my recall letter today.

The letter is headed "I-Shift transmission Software Error", which would imply a software-upgrade only is required, but then the letter goes on to talk about an apparent mechanical issue, so I'm not sure.

The letter says "A part of the reverse gear selector mechanism may become mis-aligned if the vehicle is repeatedly parked in reverse gear on a hill. If the mechanism is mis-aligned, it may be possible for the reverse gear to stay engaged even when neutral is selected. This may cause the vehicle to move backwards unexpectedly even if the gauge displays "N" when the engine is running and may lead to an accident or personal injury. "

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
The link I posted above does work, but it's very very slow. I guess there's a problem with Honda's server this evening.

guest986

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
The link works tonight, but no mention of the I-Shift recall.
Even if I enter my VIN, it says my vehicle is fine and requires no work  :o

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
Great. Honda strikes again.

guest3190

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
Well I took my Jazz in for its recall today. Took about 1 3/4 hours, then all they did was do a software upgrade to the ECU, check the i-shift wasnt faulty and gave me a quote for 3 years servicing paid for in advance...great...

I mentioned my I-shift gear shifter not working right when its hot in the car, they said they had never heard of this and I would have to book it in another day under warranty...great..you know the UK weather when will it be hot again :)

guest1112

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
yes i got the letter in august for my 2009 i-shift and i have tried to have this work done 3 times at the agent but each time [ after waiting about a hour ] the main mechanic comes out and gives me some jargin about honda not sending the correct disk for the computer ..i wasn't very happy so i phoned honda uk and explained what had gone on ..they said it was not there fault and it was up to the dealer to make sure they had the correct software installed ...and to answer your question about the fault ...it can jam in reverse it happened to a friend of mine ...but it appears not all cars are getting this recall even when i went on the honda site for recalls mine wasn't listed even though i had been sent a letter from honda ...weird !!! 

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
Had mine done shortly after receiving my letter, (Website said my car was fine). Took an hour and ever since the gearbox has gone into neutral instantly when starting engine. Before the recall it would take two or three seconds. So a definate improvement with my car.
I love the I-shift, it's brilliant.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest3827

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
Hi.How do we get in contact with Honda ref recalls as i have just purchased a 2009   Jazz ES i-VTEC S-A privately and none of the links to recalls seem to work despite trying many times.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
Just check with any Honda main Dealership and they will be able to see if it has been done or if it still  needs doing.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Tags: recalls