Author Topic: Leather Steering Wheel Glove/Cover  (Read 8994 times)

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
Leather Steering Wheel Glove/Cover
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
After much searching I have finally found a decent looking Leather Steering Wheel cover/glove that actually looks good on AliExpress

Its not the cheapest at $35/£25 but it certainly fits my requirements of:-

Looking good

Looking 'factory spec'

Quality

It took just over a week to arrive and was very well packed. As you can see in the photos it comes with everything you need, very well protected, and a set of illustrated 'Chinglish' instructions. Take your time to study the instructions and do a couple of 'dry runs' to see how it all comes together before starting the 'proper' job.

The leather slides under the steering wheel trim far easier than you might imagine. The supplied plastic tool does the job well, but as I have an iShift the 'flappy paddles' get in the way. Use a flexable butter knife for these sections. Take your time as getting this bit right is critical to the whole look of the cover.

Stitch up the seam, loop the ends of the thread under and put a spot of glue on them just to be sure that it doesn't come undone.

Give yourself the day to do it. Not that it will take a day, but its fiddley work and you will need several coffee/tea breaks. The trickiest thing is the bits you can't see and have to do by feel.

Tips:-

Once you are ready to fit the cover, remove ALL of the double sided tapes backing before you start pushing the leather under the trim. Once its poked in place its not easy to remove all of the backing.

Fit it only in good light conditions. A black steering wheel with a black leather cover is not easy on the eyes when trying to see why its not gone right.

Wouldn't it be easier with the wheel off the car? Certainly, but then you have to add in the time and faff removing and replacing the wheel. (besides which I haven't got a wheel puller)

Conclusions:-

If you have always wanted a leather steering wheel, then this is the best after market one I have found. Yes, there are cheaper ones out there but will the result be as good? I don't know but at the price this is certainly excellent value.

Disclaimer:-

I have no connection with AliExpress or the person I purchased this from.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:01:16 PM by Mr Onion »

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Golve/Cover
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
That looks pretty spot on Mr Onion  8)

Mr Onion

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Golve/Cover