Author Topic: Starter noise  (Read 4240 times)

jm0128

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2010
Starter noise
« on: December 01, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »
2009 Jazz starts on the button but always makes a squealing noise for a second at start up ? Starter motor bearing ?
Cheers
James

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Starter noise
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »
Squealing could also be the water pump belt if the water is cold (winter)

Check all the belts for tightness
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 02:57:19 PM »
Is that for a second just before the engine fires up, or for a second afterwards?   First could be starter motor pinion, which might improve with a bit of lubrication  ,second could also be that but might also be the  drive belt as suggested by Kremmen .

The  belt initially runs faster than the cold engine or ancillary .  It squeals on the pulley until it reaches the same speed. One possible test  is to put some  talcum powder  on the drive belt /pulley area.  If the squealing temporarily stops it points towards it being the belt.     Its not a cure , you would then still need to adjust the belt.

Not sure how it works. Some say the talc lubricates the belt so it doesnt squeak when it slips, others say it increases the friction so it doesnt slip at all.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:09:03 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jm0128

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 10:02:39 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts guys TBH it’s more a quick metal grind than belt squeal - is that pinion nard to get at - remove starter I presume.
Cheer
James

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 07:13:11 AM »
According to the manual, access to the starter requires removal of inlet manifold. A pain and time consuming, but certainly DIY possible if you've the tools, skills and time. Manual here - listed under Engine-Starting System https://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

HTH  :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 02:39:15 PM »
I wouldnt want you undertaking a major job based on my suggestion without getting an expert  second opinion.

Another thing that can make a metallic noises  is the clutch on the air conditioning  compressor .  Is there any change  between A/C on and A/C off? 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 07:08:54 PM »
Short squeals are often the alternator belt as it runs up and gets loaded just after a start, trying to recover the voltage drop due to cranking. Auxiliary drive belts invariably get tighter as the whole system gets hot so you often find squeal will reduce or disappear as the engine warms up, but any sign of belt squeal should be addressed ASAP to minimise belt wear as it slips.

jm0128

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 10:06:44 PM »
Don’t have air con and definitely not a belt squeal sound.
James

Tags: