Author Topic: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen  (Read 15928 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
A roll of polo mints fit there perfectly, two are better they don't rattle when you go around corners. :-)

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
A roll of polo mints fit there perfectly, two are better they don't rattle when you go around corners. :-)

How well, do they activate touch screens?
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
I use these tiny little ones with my phone. They plug into the jack socket for safe keeping.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
I also work in engineering and my phones fingerprint sensor never works for me, but I have no trouble with touch screens I think it’s more of a accuracy problem

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »

How well, do they activate touch screens?

No idea, mine works fine.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
I also work in engineering and my phones fingerprint sensor never works for me, but I have no trouble with touch screens I think it’s more of a accuracy problem

An inaccurate engineer, sounds a bit shoddy. :-)

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »

An inaccurate engineer, sounds a bit shoddy. :-)

Not me that’s got the problem works perfectly for me

I can confirm that a pack of polo mints does work just tried it on my iphone (they were the sugar free kind though) ;)

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
A couple of further thoughts on the original enquiry.

How clean is your screen ? Any dust or fingerprint deposits might make it less sensitive.

I clean my screen regularly, about once a month, with anti static plastic polish. I don't have any problems with screen insensitivity.

Do I detect a little "I want it now!" Impatience? The only problem I have had (once) was prodding the screen after moving off and changing the language instead of clearing the "If you crash the car it's your fault" message.
After a year of growing frustration with the warning on the touchscreen, I reported it as the only problem with the car when I took it in for its first service.  The dealership said they would clean the screen to see if that helped, but there was nothing else that could be done.  We didn’t notice any improvement as a result of the service and screen clean.  (My next step was to ask Honda UK/EU for assistance, who led me up the garden path, telling me that I could adjust the sensitivity of the screen, and it was explained in our “owners handbook”.  We have an owners manual, but not a “handbook”, and after spending almost half an hour in a fruitless search, I commented in my reply that it was frustrating that I hadn’t been able to find a copy of the manual to download, so that I could search it electronically.  When Honda eventually admitted that we can’t adjust the sensitivity of the screen on our car, I came to this forum to seek help, and, amazingly the most recent post was yours announcing the availability of PDF manuals!  Thank you so much for that!)

It sounds as though I should look out for some anti static plastic polish, but did you have problems with the screen before you cleaned and polished it?  As only some of us experience problems, I wonder how much this is due to:
     Differences between the screens as manufactured (which we can’t change)
     The cleanliness of our screens (which we could improve)
     Differences between our fingers (licking mine doesn’t seem to help)
     How and where we touch the screen (we may be able to learn better technique)

I’m very patient when it’s appropriate, but I don’t like waiting for unnecessary reasons, with ineffectual systems increasing the delay.  And on that note, thanks again for giving me access to a PDF manual I can search electronically!

Chris

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »
An irritation with the RDS TA system implemented on the Jazz is that if you get an announcement that isn't relevant to where you are, you want to get rid of it quickly: the only obvious way  to do that is using the touchscreen so you're back to the prod-several-times-and-hope problem. I went for a long time cursing that until someone in this forum pointed out that you can cancel the announcement quickly using the "Hang-Up" phone button (the centre one of the three on the lower left quadrant of the steering wheel). I don't think that's in the handbook so might not be widely known. Maybe if your son is informed about that he'd be more inclined to leave TA switched on when he has the car ?
Thank you so much for the information!  I hope my son will accept that approach.  Even if he doesn’t, it’ll make things easier for me when the RDS TA system doesn’t return promptly to the original station, and we thought we could only restore it through the touch screen.  I’d experimented with those steering wheel buttons to try to remove the message or set TA without success.

Chris

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »
If only, everyone's fingers, worked to the same parameters! Mine are affected by a lifetime in Engineering......

The prodder, works instantly.....
Thanks, that’s just the sort of thing I was asking about in my initial post, if there’s no way of avoiding the message or getting the screen to work reliably with our fingers.  But I guess I won’t get far asking for a “prodder” in the shops, or on the internet.  Do you know what generic name that type of thing is sold under?

With thanks,
Chris

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
Try, stylus pen.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »
Just been having a play with the system whilst parked up it seems like you don’t even have to be that accurate with the buttons as it seems to work if you get near enough I even tried typing on the web browser keyboard without any problems perhaps some screens are faulty If they are so hard to operate ?

Out of interest it wouldn’t connect to the Honda website just kept warning of an insecure connection whilst others worked ok

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Like Ralph, I’ve just been having a play, on the drive, only switching on the radio, not the ignition.  Frustratingly, touching the OK button worked almost every time, whether I gave it a light touch, a broad thumb press, or a finger-tip tap, and whether I aimed for the centre of the button, or towards one side.  If only it would operate like that for us when we’re driving!  But as Ralph concluded, accuracy doesn’t seem to be important.  I don’t know whether the screen is less sensitive when the car has just got moving, or whether this afternoon’s conditions were exceptionally favourable.

People seemed surprised that I wasn’t noticing the warning before the car had rolled off the drive onto the road, so I had several goes at timing it.  It seemed to take between 7 and 8 seconds for the OK button to appear (the message itself seems to appear over a fraction of a second rather than instantly, with the OK button being the last part to appear).  With fuel-injected modern cars, I’ve got in the habit of just turning the ignition key briefly, and assuming the car will have started, so I think that gives me plenty of time to release the handbrake and for the car to roll back onto the road.

Is my warning unusually slow to appear, or is 7-8 seconds normal?

With thanks,
Chris

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
By the time I have started the car and put my seatbelt on the "If you crash the car it's your fault" OK button is ready for use in my car. Maybe you are doing things in the wrong order. After starting the car it must take about ten seconds to put my seatbelt on by which time the radio gadget thingy has fired up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:04:34 PM by Skyrider »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »
Is my warning unusually slow to appear, or is 7-8 seconds normal?
That sounds about right. In my experience, starting the vehicle causes the infotainment system to reboot. Try turning the key a couple of clicks so the dashboard lights come on, the infotainment system starts, the OK button appears which you then press before starting the engine. Then start the engine and the damned touchscrren unit reboots!

The real stupidity is having the button whether actually required by rules or regulations or just the interpretation thereof. The message could more usefully have been along these lines: "Honda appeciate that providing this touchscreen system increases the risk of you being involved in a crash due to having to look at the screen to use it." My HR-V also has touch controls for the heating and ventilation (a separate panel below the main touchscreen which means looking down even further but there's no warning about this being a safety hazard.

And I use my thumb rather than a finger tip to touch that OK button. In my experience the bigger the lump of flesh used then the greater the chance that it would register.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything