Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 42250 times)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
My last time, due to having new front tyres, I had to reset three times on motorway / dual carriageway only driving all on the same trip.  It has only happened to my on two occasions.  Once when the car was new and again when I had new tyres.  I would kind of expect that due to bedding in.  I never re-inflated them on either occasion, just re-calibrated. 

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
I had this issue on my first trip on M25 at constant 70mph.  Reset when tyres when hot.   Did same trip again few months later with no issues. 

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
It's almost as if the system has to adjust to the owner! I'm still on no issues after 3 false alarms early in my ownership, all 3 triggered by motorway driving (unless that was just co-incidence.)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
140 motorway miles on Sunday on a warm day. No tyre pressure warning. I have now settled into a routine of recalibrating every month after checking the tyres.

The system seems to be working when looking at the lights on the instrument display when you turn on the ignition.

I guess I will never know why it went off 3 times in succession after motorway drives early in my ownership. It can't be bedding down of tyres because they seem to be the originals (the car only had 7,000 on the clock when I bought it).

I'm content with this (I had an arrangement with the dealers that I would bring the car in with the light showing next time it happened) but it remains a mystery and, looking through various posts on this forum but also on other Honda forums, it seems the system playing up for no reason then settling down is not uncommon. I'm still thinking it might be the change of owner - lowish mileage - first owner never gone about 40 mph? Who knows?

The issue now is that I will assume that any future warning is a false alarm which rather defeats the object of having a system in the first place.

rfairbairn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk3 Reg 2016
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
The system is a Joke

Last week I got a puncture with a screw, from a standing start. I was alerted to it by the fact that it was driving strangly, well I knew I had a puncture instantly, from experience. The tyre was totally deflated

The warning system didnt go off, until it had been changed for the spare!

When it got fixed, and the proper wheel replaced, the warning light went off!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »
I agree the system is a joke. As applied by Honda, it serves no useful purpose and I now drive as if it doesn't exist. Fortunately the random alarms after fast motorway driving (it was that and only that that set mine off) have ceased. They went off for no reason and they have stopped going off - also for no discernible reason.

The better ones have a sensor on each wheel.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
I agree the system is a joke.

Only for some people, for most it works perfectly.

guest4871

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
Is it that the system monitors in a range?

For example, if the tyre is under pressure by say 20% it is triggered or if it is over pressure by 20% it is triggered.

This might explain why it is triggered on a motorway in hot temperatures with a high road surface temperature and thus the tyre over inflated because it is much hotter than normal?

Naturally, not triggering from start when the tyre is totally flat is rather stupid!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
I agree the system is a joke. As applied by Honda, it serves no useful purpose and I now drive as if it doesn't exist. Fortunately the random alarms after fast motorway driving (it was that and only that that set mine off) have ceased. They went off for no reason and they have stopped going off - also for no discernible reason.

The better ones have a sensor on each wheel.

Maybe they tinkered too much with the MK3 system,  I have never had a problem,  alerted me when I had alloy corrosion and wheel was losing about 4 psi a week. also when I picked up a woodscrew,  and when I swap from winters to summers and back on Civic I have to recalibrate,  on my wifes Jazz I don't have to.

The 'better ones' are expensive to maintain,  my bro has a Suzuki Vitara with 'a sensor in each wheel' and he bought new steels and winters ( against my advice,  I told him if you have sensors in the wheel get all season tyres - if you get new wheels it will cost you for sensors and for programming them in every year) - he put the steels on and his dash lit up like a christmas tree - he had to take them off and will put them back on when he has time to go to dealer to get the sensors 'programmed in' to his ECU, reverse when he swaps wheels in spring £££'s - worst thing is batteries last 3 years.  Lots of makers use ABS system.

The system is a Joke

Last week I got a puncture with a screw, from a standing start. I was alerted to it by the fact that it was driving strangly, well I knew I had a puncture instantly, from experience. The tyre was totally deflated

Maybe I am old school but I always do a quick check of tyres before I start the car, especially if it has been parked for a while 1. to check I still have 4 wheels.  2. to check no tyres looks under-inflated ( ie flat at the bottom'.

I agree the system is a joke.

Only for some people, for most it works perfectly.

I don't have a mark 3 but never had a problem on our Jazzes or Civic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:03:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
The system is a Joke

I think the tyre deflating while the vehicle is parked will catch the system out as it is based on comparing the wheel rotation speeds while moving and must include some averaging in order to not be caught out by factors such as turning a corner. Hence it would notice a deflated tyre, but not immediately on pulling away but, as you discovered, a driver should quickly notic a flat tyre.

Where it should work usefully is warning about the partially deflated tyre which isn't immediately noticeable in the vehicle handling. Imagine your tyre only being part-deflated when you pulled away and then continued to deflate on your journey. It should warn you of the problem long before the handling is affected.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
The system is a Joke

I think the tyre deflating while the vehicle is parked will catch the system out as it is based on comparing the wheel rotation speeds while moving and must include some averaging in order to not be caught out by factors such as turning a corner. Hence it would notice a deflated tyre, but not immediately on pulling away but, as you discovered, a driver should quickly notic a flat tyre.

Where it should work usefully is warning about the partially deflated tyre which isn't immediately noticeable in the vehicle handling. Imagine your tyre only being part-deflated when you pulled away and then continued to deflate on your journey. It should warn you of the problem long before the handling is affected.

Knowing how the system works stops it becoming a joke.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
Worth a read:
https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/Report%20-%20EU%20drivers%20at%20risk%20of%20under-inflated%20tyres.pdf

Whilst there’s a requirement for these systems to be fitted, there doesn’t seem to be an adequate requirement for the systems to function so as to deliver the expected safety & environmental benefits.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
Further to John Ratsey's point, I vaguely recall that there is a minimum speed requirement for the system to operate. As John says, this avoids it being triggered by low speed manoeuvring.
I've now looked at the handbook (novel idea!).  p 443 says that the warning system does not function at low speed.  Recalibration needs a total of 30 mins above 25 mph.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:01:52 PM by Downsizer »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
Joke system explained. Thanks, I couldn't be bothered to explain it again.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Once you have had a series of false alarms - and these are not uncommon - you lose faith in the system. I am fully aware of how they are supposed to work.

Being a bit old school, I check my tyres regularly. Good point Culzean makes about the individual tyre sensor system. They can be expensive to maintain and I gather most of them are battery powered so replacing batteries is also an issue.

I'm not over concerned. I've lived without a Deflation Warning System in all my previous cars so my mindset is that I don't have one and I drive and check my tyres accordingly. I also recalibrate the system faithfully and that seems to keep it quiet for now.

I will personally eat humble pie if it ever gives a genuine alarm!

Tags:

anything