Author Topic: Brake report-advice & 'interpretation' required!  (Read 1220 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Brake report-advice & 'interpretation' required!
« on: August 18, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi All, Hope you have all made as much of the 'summer' as possible, now that it seems to be returning to 'normal' :-(

So, onto more about abvoe title. Had car serviced and MOT'd which = 'Pass' :-) However, brake report & discussing work pretty much required at same time next year are 2 new tyres (maybe 3!)-actual treads recorded as:
O/SF 3.5mm
N/SF 3.0mm
O/SR 3.Omm
N/SR 6.0mm.
Currently travelling around 4k miles per year, so whilst on brake subject, may as well add to the pot-Should I need new tyres at next year service/MOT?

Returning to original reason why here, Brake Report records:
Pads-
O/SF 70%
N/SF 70%
O/SR 50%
N/SR 50%

Shoes-
O/SF 'worn'
N/SF ''worn'
(where he has written 'worn' this in the service sheet is directly under the 'Pads 70%' which I think he is referring!)

Discs-
O/SF 'OK'
N/SF 'OK'

But, then in comments section on service report mechanic writes 'front discs corroded & lipped. Rear discs scored'.

When discussing, mentioned I will need brakes and tyres. Didn't get much further than that. So am now hoping from the aove information if any readers can advise/interpret what exactly should I get done regarding the brakes and tyres? Also what sort of cost should I be looking to pay at non dealer, local garage for work to be carried.

The garage I use is local, have found to be trustworthy & used for past quite a few years.

Hoping from the above it might just be 2 new tyes & new pads for front brakes-or that is my reading of report. As ever, many thanks for reading and putting up with description. All replies gratefully received.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Brake report-advice & 'interpretation' required!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:45:46 PM »
I don't like to let my tyres get below 3 mm but remember, the legal limit is 1.6 mm.
Regarding the discs. My mechanic son-in-law would take a heavy screwdriver to the lip. Spin the wheel and use the screwdriver like a lathe tool. He would tell me not to worry about the rear disc scoring unless it is chewing through pads. Don't know where the "Shoes" come into it. Jazz doesn't have brake shoes.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »
Jocko, that is great info. TY to you and your s i l (please pass on regards). Think I'll go for 2 def new tyres and think from the brief chat that it should only be new pads for the front (car just on turn of doing 40K in 8 years).

As well as the above items, garage I use also advised time for new plugs (iridium) which he has costed as £40.00 approx. So, am trying to split work to be done over 2 visits (easier on the wallet), 1 this year (tyres and pads) and then do plugs, service & MOT when needed in May next year.

Have to say, in garages honour, over the past 2 or 3 MOT's & other minor jobs he has done for us on the jazz, he could quite have easily failed the jazz but is fair, practical and decent bloke. It is only due to the lack of mileage I do (4-5k per year) that results in less wear than other drivers/cars & the jazz has not cost anything since ownership other than service costs/MOT's/battery. So expecting since last service/MOT that few hundred quid due to spent.

Have to admit, am in 2 minds whether to do plugs 1st as have read on other posts how this seems to pep up the jazz! If his quote for all 3 jobs is not massively inflated from what I am expecting may even get all jobs done & then that is it sorted. Any views?

Finallly, where you mention 'shoes' (know jazz not have shoes), I was trying to describe where he had written 'worn' which must be added to the 70% marked on the report in table/box form.

Again, TY for your info & advice. Certainly helps me out :-)

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
I agree with Jocko  above, pads have years of life left in them and disc rust and scoring passed this year, no reason they won't pass every other year unless they get worse and as long as they still work within mot standards.
Tyres are all legal and might still be next year, only issue is that in bad weather, particularly heavy rain or standing  water, there will be less grip and more tendency to slide or aquaplane about. Personal choice whether you change or not, most fleets change theirs at 3mm tread depth but this is mainly to save taking cars off the road between services, less likely with yours because of low mileage.
Again, spark plugs are personal choice, it did pep my engine up a bit, or at least in my head I think it did! Won't do any harm mate!
Early jazzes had rear drums and shoes (till about 2005 I think), my 2003 has them, never in the front as far as I know.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
Jazz doesn't have brake shoes.
Yes, early ones did, but not on the V-TEC. 2003 was the last year for drum brakes, according to https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ

Tags:

anything