Author Topic: wheel alignment  (Read 2703 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
wheel alignment
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
Hi

Had 4 new continental tyres fitted 16 months ago and 15000 miles extra on the clock. Just notice today front's have worn on outside and about half all other tread gone, is this fair ??

Going back later to ATS ( who are very good) to have 'tracking' re done, do you think i should be charged ? It was done when new tyres fitted.

mike

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
In 15000 miles and 16 months it is feasible your tracking could have gone out of alignment due to any knocks the wheels have taken from potholes, kerbing etc. If they charge you or not is down to any company policies they have on it and pure goodwill.

As far as half the tread being half-worn on the rest of the tyre, partly depends on the rubber compound of the tyre, softer rubber grips  the road better (so are safer) but wears out quicker, more expensive (and sportier) tyres like continental and pirelli tend to use softer rubber compounds for the better grip. Cheap tyres tend to last better as they use harder rubber compounds but don't grip as well particularly in wet weather, also, I've noticed the cheap ones tend to crack on the sidewalls earlier due to UV light damage earlier than expensive ones.

Wear also depends on driving style, conditions and vehicle (power, weight, tyre pressures, steering and suspension set up), so it's impossible to say if it's reasonable or fair, due to too many variables, I wouldn't consider it as outwith the realms of acceptability. As front tyres wear out quicker than rears on front wheel drive cars many people have them changed round to even up the wear.

Sorry, there isn't really a definitive answer, every case is different. Good luck.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Wheel alignment is only guaranteed at the time it is done. You can drive out of ATS and hit a pothole or a kerb later the same day, knocking the tracking out. Tyre wear depends a lot on how you drive. If you accelerate briskly, corner spiritedly, and brake sharply the tyres could wear out considerably quicker than driving gently.
As Mick says, the compound also has a marked effect.
I had a car with Pirelli soft compound, grippy tyres. I drove like a loon. And I had to replace them every 10,000 miles!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
I would be greatly upset not to get 30k miles from a set of tyres..

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
Hi

Well, back from ATS, and they checked alignment and it was OK, they certainly have some good gear in there so i believe them. No charge, however the fronts are definitely worn more on the outer edges which they say is probably due to power steering. They do reckon i've about another 15k miles left in them, but if they keep scrubbing off the edge maybe not, so they are going on the back.

mike

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 11:28:12 AM »
Hi

Well, back from ATS, and they checked alignment and it was OK, they certainly have some good gear in there so i believe them. No charge, however the fronts are definitely worn more on the outer edges which they say is probably due to power steering. They do reckon i've about another 15k miles left in them, but if they keep scrubbing off the edge maybe not, so they are going on the back.

mike

Spirited cornering will wear the outer shoulder of tyre more than the inner shoulder. I have never seen any noticeable uneven wear on tyres of any Honda I have owned.  The best suspension setup was on my 1996 Civic (the Rover 400 shape) - it had unequal length double wishbone suspension which makes the wheels follow a path as the car rolls in a corner to keep the tyre absolutely flat on the road, later Honda models just had single wishbone MacPherson strut - like most other cars except real expensive ones,  which is a bit cheap and nasty and does not control wheel geometry anywhere near well.

Power steering should not affect tyre wear unless (like most women and some blokes I see ) you turn the wheels from lock to lock when car is stationary - and then it will just put a mini flat spot on the tyre and stress the power steering and suspension.  When I am doing tight reversing such as on carparks my wheels are being turned the other way (the way they need to point when I go forward again ) while I am still moving backwards,  and vice-versa,  this means tyres are rotating when wheels are pivoting and there is no extra wear on the tyres or stress on the car.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:34:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
I usually wear the outer edge of my offside front, due to one motorway bend I regularly take at a silly speed.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
Fronts on daughter's 2014 EX were quite scubbed on the edges when she changed them due to overall wear at around 18K.  I had the alignment done and it was only marginally out.

Her original rear tyres were put on the front and they've just been replaced at 30K and again had scrubbed the edges.

She quite a "press-on" driver.  They were Dunlop SP2030's which are pretty soft and never lasted well.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »
When you say "scrubbed", do you mean just worn unevenly, or is there any sign of feathering? By that, I mean a lip developing on one side of the blocks of tread, giving a "sawtooth" feel as you rub your hand around the worn part? That is what is indicative of incorrect toe alignment.

If there is no sign of feathering, the wear could due to other suspension issues such as camber, movement in suspension bushes, tyre pressures, spirited cornering, etc..

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
Just worn unevenly. 

My C Class Merc did the same, but they're noted for it due to the camber of front wheels when turned. I got an MOT advisory one year, but it wasn't mentioned the next year with an additional 10K on the tyres.   I changed them anyway as they were so bald on the edge they looked bad.

Tags: