Author Topic: Clutch replacement  (Read 19562 times)

guest2958

Re: Clutch replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'd pretty much stripped it down already apart from taking out the drive shafts and removing the subframe. So I've got a pretty good idea now what I need to take off to get at things.
The key bits for me were:
1) loosening the drive shaft nuts in the front hub. Ideally you need the car on the ground with someone's foot hard on the footbrake. A 32mm socket and a *** long bar to loosen them off - both absolutely essential. They're staked locking nuts so you really need to replace them on renewal because you have to chisel a bit of the collar off to release the staking before you can start to unscrew them, and yes they cost £6 each from your local Honda Dealer, (Yes that really is £6, yes, for a nut, yes I know that's ridiculous). You can always swap them over L-R rather than replacing, because the chances are the staking will line up differently on an untouched part of the collar and you'll be able to lock them in place - not recommended, but it will work.
2) Getting the car well jacked up on some decent axle stands so you've got plenty of room to work and can get some decent leverage/welly onto those rusty suspension parts.

I'll do the full job sometime in the New Year. I'll let you know whether dropping the subframe rather than removing it completely, is do-able.
Might not be for a week or two, so don't hold your breath...! Actually, if it's a really good Xmas and the Jazz behaves herself (118K now), and it stays cold and miserable outside, it might not be for a month or two...!

Mark

guest1926

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
hi Mark7b - wondered if you'd tried this in the end? & if so how you got on?
Thanks

guest2958

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »
Hi Wispy - sorry for the delay, I'm only an occasional user of this forum (blame the car it's so damn reliable, 160,000 on the clock now and running perfectly...) I did get round to replacing the clutch. I wrote it all up in a later post titled "DIY clutch replacement - sorted"
Mark

Tags: