Author Topic: Air Conditioning - Usage & Maintenance  (Read 4331 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Air Conditioning - Usage & Maintenance
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
Air conditioning provides dehumidification of the interior and stabilise the temperature. A common misconception is that aircon is only for cooling purposes – this is simply not true, as it can be used all year round and is useful in winter months to prevent the windows misting up.

Aircon is standard on all Jazz models except the S model, where it was/is offered as a dealer-fit option. Because the installation cost is greater then the price differential between the S & SE model (with aircon), few if any customers opted for this pricey option.

Jazz SE & SE Sport models (and S model with dealer-fit aircon) are fitted with a manual system which pumps coolant when the switch marked A/C is pressed. The Sport model (and some JDM imports) come fitted with an electronic climate control system which if left in FULL AUTO mode, automatically switches the aircon on or off as needed to maintain the temperature as set by the up/down temperature controls (e.g., 20 C).

Effects on Fuel Consumption & Performance

There is some debate as to whether aircon should be used all the time or just when needed. Although aircon can increase fuel consumption and reduce performance, it is not known by how much this will occur or even if it would be noticeable. Therefore, it’s really up to you and your personal preference, although on models fitted with climate control its best to leave the system in FULL AUTO model during normal usage and yet the electronics look after it all.

Reliability

Aircon systems are generally reliable, but there are a few pointers to remember. Firstly, the system may need topping-up with coolant from time-to-time, depending on how often it’s used. Operating the aircon with little or no coolant could damage the compressor; so if the system is no longer pumping out cool air when set to maximum cold temperature, have the system inspected by a technician (not necessarily your Honda dealer, who often contract aircon work out to another company) who can advise the best course of action. As a general rule, the system should not need topping up within the first three years but it’s impossible to say what’s ‘normal’.

Regular use can keep the system working perfectly so keep it running for at least 10 minutes once a week. It can also reduce the chance of mould growing in the system which has obvious health risks. For this reason, any suspicious smells produced when the aircon is in operation, especially mouldy or damp odours, should be investigated. Also avoid opening the windows and sunroof (if fitted) when the aircon is in use as this affects performance of the system.

The aircon is not serviced as part of your Jazz’s scheduled servicing, so have the system checked every three to four years. As stated in the owner’s manual, the system should be recharged using Refrigerant HFC-134a (R-134a).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:28:00 PM by RichardA »

guest990

Re: Air Conditioning - Usage & Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
Being lucky enough to live in Queensland Australia where my aircon is seldom (if ever) switched off, we have found that due to drag factors when the windows are down it is more fuel efficient to use aircon on and windows up.

This also has benefits of keeping out dust & noise.
Remember that the design of modern cars are usually fine tuned in a wind tunnel for minimum drag & best performance & fuel economy. This can only be obtained with the windows up.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
I agree that using the aircon (as opposed to opening the windows or sunroof) is better at anything above about 20mph because of increased drag caused.

Apart from cooling the car, I mainly use my aircon to stop the windows misting up whenever it rains (a lot in England) - seems to be a particular Jazz problem - don't know if the GE model is any better?

The best way to keep anything working properly is to use it regularly. This applies to air-con more than most most other things.  Using it will keep all the seals in good condition and slow down the leakage of gas.  Don't forget that the refrigerant also has a lubricant in it so the more it is pumped around the system the more it gets to where it should go.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
Halfords do a aircon recharge in a can which also has a gauge so you can check how your system is doing

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201507_langId_-1_categoryId_165632

Tags: