Author Topic: sunglasses for driving  (Read 5405 times)

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
sunglasses for driving
« on: May 01, 2024, 12:37:18 PM »
does anyone use glasses with photochromatic lenses for driving in the Jazz , do they work ok ?

I was thinking of getting a pair but the opticians have advised they don't work too well behind some car windows due to the glass absorbing  UV.

I have a pair of polarising glasses but they don't work well, turning the car and mobile phone lcd screens very dark !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: sunglasses for driving
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 03:48:47 PM »
My optician said the same and they could be right

Mine don't darken behind glass anywhere near as dark as being out in the open
Let's be careful out there !

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »
I had a polychromatic one: it is useless in a car. Now I have a polarized one which is very good when looking out of the window, but screens and buttons are more difficult to see. It takes any glare away, which is really good (and safe).
I’m very sensitive to glare, if I wasn’t I would prefer a normal tinted pair of glasses.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 05:06:22 PM »
I've never used photochromic lenses, you're right they don't darken down fully inside a car (opticians promote this as a benefit, "ideal for night driving"!) and also they can take a while to return to clear when you go indoors from bright sunlight. I use polarised clip-ons to reduce glare off the road (reflected light is polarised), but you have to search around to find some with a very light tint. Of course it reduces transmission of any other polarised light as well, so some screens look dim.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 03:44:08 AM »
Specsavers did me a pair of proper prescription sunglasses for half price

They came out with a sample of colours I could have. I have used them a few times and they are good
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 10:14:24 PM »
I have a pair of clip-on flip-up polaroids which I put on (provided I remember) at the start of journeys on sunny days. The flip-up feature is very useful either in mixed sun/cloud or going along heavily shaded roads where potholes might be hiding in the dark.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
Don't use Polarised lens!The sreen looks like it has been distorted when you look into it!

https://www.youngeroptics.com.au/did-you-know/why-do-some-screens-look-weird-through-polarized-sunglasses/#:~:text=This%20phenomenon%20occurs%20because%20the,or%20dark%20screen%20or%20display.

Rubbish. Been using polarised clip-ons for 30 years or more. I think that link is referring to very old toughened windscreens, you certainly don’t get that effect with modern laminated glass. And the comments about device screens refers to lcd displays, not modern led screens (as the final sentence acknowledges).
Just because someone’s written something on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true!

dayjavoo

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 12:28:34 PM »
Specsavers did me a pair of proper prescription sunglasses for half price

They came out with a sample of colours I could have. I have used them a few times and they are good

I was persuaded by my optician to buy an expensive pair of prescription sun glasses.  They are fine for looking through the windscreen on sunny days but I find them too dark to see the dashboard display comfortably.

Beanbag

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2018 1.5 sport + 2006 1.3 sport
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 02:16:54 PM »
My recent photochromics are a grey tint and are much better than my previous brown ones for driving in bright sunlight, which in itself is a recent experience. ;D

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 12:03:56 AM »
Don't use Polarised lens!The sreen looks like it has been distorted when you look into it!

https://www.youngeroptics.com.au/did-you-know/why-do-some-screens-look-weird-through-polarized-sunglasses/#:~:text=This%20phenomenon%20occurs%20because%20the,or%20dark%20screen%20or%20display.

Rubbish. Been using polarised clip-ons for 30 years or more. I think that link is referring to very old toughened windscreens, you certainly don’t get that effect with modern laminated glass. And the comments about device screens refers to lcd displays, not modern led screens (as the final sentence acknowledges).
Just because someone’s written something on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I forgot to mention I actually had a pair. I looked into my 2009 Seat Ibiza's stereo display and it looked as though the screen has been damaged! So I switched it off and on again but display was same. Later I put my normal glasses on and looked at it and all the distortion was gone!

A week later I went to McDonald's and forgot to take my polarised sun glasses off. The whole self service screen was distorted! I popped into my local boots opticians and the Optometrist told me polarised lens can distort display.

I can't comment on the LED screen because I didn't get to experience it on modern cars. Also my sunglasses had the polarised lens fitted, and weren't clip ons. As for the article, it was a point of reference so I can't assess it through a professional capacity. But as you mentioned looking out off the windscreen, the polarised lens worked well as any sunglasses I have had previously. Infact my friends who love fishing swears by them. 

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 11:21:36 AM »
does anyone use glasses with photochromatic lenses for driving in the Jazz , do they work ok ?

I was thinking of getting a pair but the opticians have advised they don't work too well behind some car windows due to the glass absorbing  UV.

I have a pair of polarising glasses but they don't work well, turning the car and mobile phone lcd screens very dark !

I've had these on my perscription for over 20 years and they don't go dark when driving. I've also had perscription sunglasses but they make the backlit dials on the later Mk1s too dark.

pebbles

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 07:06:45 PM »
thanks guys, I think I'll just get a pair of non polarising flip ups to put on my normal prescription glasses.

A quick look online , it seems nearly all flip ups and clip ons for sale are polarised but I have found one seller who can supply non polarised. He says non polarised flip ups are becoming more popular with the increasing amount of displays in cars , boats , planes etc.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 12:12:22 PM »
You can get lenses that change according to light, rather than according to UV (which is blocked by the windscreen).  They were introduced with driving in mind.  Look around for someone who offers them.

Tags:

anything