Author Topic: Battery discharging  (Read 13240 times)

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Battery discharging
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
Just a quick pic.
Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
purely for safety and information,I have purchased the Ring adapter with voltage indicator,and an emergency
boost starter battery kit,

I will keep it for the Jazz,

not for my 20yr old Corolla

a blot on Hondas reputation

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
Update.
I "fully " charged the battery. Using malns powered charger that cuts out
At 14,4v.on friday .
Used the car Saturday. About 12miles.
Sunday a delivery with the Ring adapter and battery condition indicated lights.
Plugged adapter it.lights red (med).and last  (poor) only illuminated.
Engine started easily. And all 4 lights came on.indicating a good charging system.
More news soon

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
I had a mystery issue with my previous Jazz literally days before I sold it.

Battery wouldn't hold a charge overnight although it had been absolutely fine. (Thought the car knew I was going to sell it and was sulking  :o )

Turned out to be a faulty roof courtesy light.

Can't remember WHAT exactly as it's a couple of years ago now but the drivers side roof light appeared to be off all the time when it was actually on. The bulb or switch was somehow faulty. The light wasn't lighting so looked like it was off but was still on and draining the battery all the time.

Can't remember how I fixed it now - new bulb? - tightened up connections in the housing?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:15:55 PM by TopDown »

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
after a faultless summer it happened again,

on last monday (8 days ago ) I used it to drive approx 130 miles for a golfing trip,then on the thursday a local 20 mile
trip,all working perfectly,
then yesterday,tuesday,I went to use it,and the battery was flat !!4  days of non use and down it was,

no interior lights on,or external,locked up as normal,
I had purchased one of the small emergency starter units and it started OK,used it all day and evening,doing around 80mls ,and its OK,but NO green indicator on the battery ,(approx 1 yr old,supplied with the car last year) .

so ,still got a very annoying problem,and no idea how to cure it .

Ideas please !!!!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »
after a faultless summer it happened again,

on last monday (8 days ago ) I used it to drive approx 130 miles for a golfing trip,then on the thursday a local 20 mile
trip,all working perfectly,
then yesterday,tuesday,I went to use it,and the battery was flat !!4  days of non use and down it was,

no interior lights on,or external,locked up as normal,
I had purchased one of the small emergency starter units and it started OK,used it all day and evening,doing around 80mls ,and its OK,but NO green indicator on the battery ,(approx 1 yr old,supplied with the car last year) .

so ,still got a very annoying problem,and no idea how to cure it .

Ideas please !!!!!

I have heard tales of faulty aircon relays sticking closed with ignition off and draining the battery (aircon clutch coil draws about 3 amps ).  Only the supply to the relay coil is via ECU and switch on dashboard, the main power to coil comes straight from battery via a 7 amp fuse and the relay contacts down to the coil,  if relay contacts remain closed (stuck together) when power to relay coil is removed by switching aircon or ignition off it will drain the battery very quickly without the engine running.  It seems Omron relays can be faulty but Matsui relay is much better (relays available from Cox motors or fleabay).

Apparently there was a service bulletin issued on Civic 8th Gen to replace original Omron relay with Matsui relay, but nor sure about Jazz (although I assume they would use the same Omron relay as no real reason to use a different one until problem showed up later).

Other culprits can be heated mirror and rear screen relays  - also if you have an alarm fitted (not just the standard immobiliser) they can draw enough current to drain battery over a week or so.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:29:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
Hi all.
My son had a similar problem on his 2010 Jazz automatic (with flappy paddles). I went out and jump started it a few times for him till he got a USB jump start thing from the Internet. Well it randomly continues to be a problem, his battery was just a year old so I suggested he went back to the supplier (a proper battery shop) and asked them to check it. Came back all clear "nowt wrong with battery"! Carried on randomly not starting, the last time about two months ago.... "Dad my battery is flat and a strange warning message on screen in speedo consul". he lives about 5 miles away so I dropped over to see what was going on. Well it was a seatbelt tensioner warning light?? His battery was indeed showing the symptoms of being flat. Following advice on here about changing the battery to a Yuasa after about 5 years "precautionary measure" in my 2013 Jazz and being I had ordered two mistake as my other son actually needed one I still had the original 2013 version from my car. I plonked it on his car (I bought a radio code saver thingy by then) so was all straightforward. His car started, seat belt tensioner warning went out and it's been 100% fine these past two months. I did check earth and all that sort of stuff and I believe it was his battery randomly not supplying the current to start. 

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
thanks for all your replies ,hey do show a pattern,

since then I have contacted Honda UK for tech help,explaining what happens and also stating the local dealer has been very helpful,but not curing the issue,
had a very nice reply asking for more details ,
so will see what happens

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
The initial reply saying local garage will contact me about my "flat battery " and check it's condition.
Do you see an excuse coming? ?
The dealer fitted a new Varta battery before delivery. As during the test drive the previous one went flat while we inspected the car on our drive.
More news later.

since then I have contacted Honda UK for tech help,explaining what happens and also stating the local dealer has been very helpful,but not curing the issue,
so will see what happens

Radhadee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 auto ex cvt
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
Only had mine a week and had new battery fitted. Reading these it seems it’s a regular problem? Is there a way to disconnect the alarm would it help or not??

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »
The alarm does use a little current. But if the fault exists. It will drain the battery in less than a week.
The main possible culprit seems to be sitcom clutch relay.some stick on.which drains the battery.
Also.there are different makes of relays. One seems less reliable than the other.

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »
The initial reply saying local garage will contact me about my "flat battery " and check it's condition.
The dealer fitted a new Varta battery before delivery. As during the test drive the previous one went flat while we inspected the car on our drive.
More news later.

so will see what happens

Update.
The dealer had the car for about 4 days.purely because we didn't need it.
They delivered it back.no comments on what they had done.Just said hope its OK now. Let us know if it happens again.
No charge.
And it seems ok . (Touch wood)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »
More news later.

so will see what happens

Update.
They delivered it back.no comments on what they had done.Just said hope its OK now. Let us know if it happens again.
No charge.

There is a current flow sensor in the main fuse box that is supposed to tell the alternator to supply more current when current flowing out of battery ( obviously only when engine running ) this can go bad.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10222.msg60872#msg60872

If they sent your car back ' no charge ' does that mean battery is still flat  :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:56:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
More news later.

so will see what happens

Update.
No charge.

There is a current flow sensor in the main fuse box that is supposed to tell the alternator to supply more current when current flowing out of battery ( obviously only when engine running ) this can go bad.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10222.msg60872#msg60872

If they sent your car back ' no charge ' does that mean battery is still flat  :o
Sort of square. And full of current
Bit like Christmas cake !!
Grins )))

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »
Just an update.
During winter. With heating. Lights.and rear screen. Been no issues.
Along comes the warm weather. Started using air conditioners. And guess what. Flat battery twice   
this month. Although done plenty of mileage.
It's going into Honda dealership for airbag.will chat nicely. A see what happens

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything