Author Topic: Cam chain  (Read 1656 times)

guest7946

Cam chain
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
Hi all juast a quick question  if the cam chaim slips a cog or 2 does the vavle hit the pistons
Ans can the chain be changed  with ehe motor still in the car

The honda is a 2002 jazz 1.5 ltr motor single cam

Cheers

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Cam chain
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
Welcome. Honda cam chains do not have a reputation for giving trouble, do you think that you have a problem? A cam chain would have to be very worn to jump a cog or two.

Vic.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
I agree with Vic, re Honda cam chains.

However to answer your question, if the chain were to jump a tooth or 2, then yes, almost certainly the piston would hit a valve and probably bend the head, so that the engine would not run and would require a strip and rebuild, or an exchange engine. So, just be thankful that this is extremely unlikely with a Honda engine.

I recall, as an apprentice over 60 years ago, I did a stint on engine assembly at a midlands 4x4 vehicle manufacturer, where I assembled the valve timing. It was drummed into me, that one tooth out of position, would be disastrous!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »
Chains don't normally jumps a cog. They would have to be so worn the noise would be unbearable, long before it happened. Belts can break and jump teeth though.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the answers why i asked it did have a rattle that i thought was a chain the wife took it out and it stopped when we try to start it it sounds like theres no compression and turns realy freely with no effort and wont start
 Oh and in no way was it the wifes fault

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »
Just pull rocker cover off and timing chain has come off the sprocket so new motor as the vavle would be more then likely  bent is this correct

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
Pic of chain

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
For that to happen the cam chain tensioner must have collapsed. I would suggest that a replacement engine from a breakers might be the easiest way to go about fixing things. If you are mechanically minded you could, once you are back on the road, strip the damaged engine and see just what it needs done to it.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Yes thought a new engine would be easier and will find out what let go once the engine is out top part of engine is stripped just got to work out what needs to come out underneath befor trying to pull it out

Tags: