Author Topic: Culprit: Input shaft bearing sounds with videos / Taking photo & Video Requests  (Read 2886 times)

guest7581

A few weeks ago, my 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 manual transmission was making a concerning sound (see link below). After getting excellent advice here and watching lots of youtube video's, i concluded that it was the input shaft bearing. I have the tranny pulled and am now rebuilding with a bearing kit. I have included a video (see link below) of what the culprit (bad input shaft bearing) sounds like.

While i have the tranny apart (for the next day), i am taking photo & video request from anyone that needs them, just reply to this thread.

Sound when driving:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysjaxx6v3enkhb6/Honda%20Noise.mp4?dl=0

Bad input shaft bearing with tranny open:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvnvlzpxfzpp67i/bad%20input%20shaft%20bearing.mp4?dl=0

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Nice post  8)

That input shaft bearing has certainly had it! Any chatter from any of the other bearings?

guest7581

• Topic Starter
Thanks.

So, the only other bearing that sounded sort of bad was on the opposite side of the main shaft (see pics). Either way, i am replacing all bearings and seals.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
If you intend keeping the car, it seems daft not to do the whole lot while you're in there. Those two input shaft bearings always seem to be the main suspects, I guess that's why they sell the mini-kit with just the two bearings and a few seals.

From what I've seen of the drawings and various videos of Jazz/Civic gearbox rebuilds, it looks a pretty straightforward gearbox to work on.

guest7581

• Topic Starter
If you intend keeping the car, it seems daft not to do the whole lot while you're in there. Those two input shaft bearings always seem to be the main suspects, I guess that's why they sell the mini-kit with just the two bearings and a few seals.

From what I've seen of the drawings and various videos of Jazz/Civic gearbox rebuilds, it looks a pretty straightforward gearbox to work on.
I ordered a 7 bearing kit with seals and a tube of RTV... I'm trying to work the main shaft bearing and that blind bearing out of the case with heat... with no luck... any tricks you can recommend?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
Heat is great for removing bearings from shafts, but if it's stuck in a blind hole you have the opposite problem. I've even used freeze spray before, freezing the bearing thoroughly before having a go at it.

If you have, or can borrow, an internal bearing puller and a slide hammer, that's the way to go. There are a few types I've used successfully, the expanding arbor type work well, and there is another type of kit which grips the inner and outer race with clipped ball-shaped inserts.

The shock from the slide hammer normally works a treat.

If you haven't got anything similar, you can improvise something. Make up a slide hammer if you don't have one, then make an implement that will be able to grip on the rear face of the bearing - maybe a piece of scrap round bar, slightly smaller than the shaft diameter, with a slot ground into one side to make a lip to pass through and grip on the rear of the bearing. An 1/8 of an inch lip on a steel bar should be able to pull it out of an aluminium casting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:21:25 PM by sparky Paul »

guest7581

• Topic Starter
Heat is great for removing bearings from shafts, but if it's stuck in a blind hole you have the opposite problem. I've even used freeze spray before, freezing the bearing thoroughly before having a go at it.

If you have, or can borrow, an internal bearing puller and a slide hammer, that's the way to go. There are a few types I've used successfully, the expanding arbor type work well, and there is another type of kit which grips the inner and outer race with clipped ball-shaped inserts.

The shock from the slide hammer normally works a treat.

If you haven't got anything similar, you can improvise something. Make up a slide hammer if you don't have one, then make an implement that will be able to grip on the rear face of the bearing - maybe a piece of scrap round bar, slightly smaller than the shaft diameter, with a slot ground into one side to make a lip to pass through and grip on the rear of the bearing. An 1/8 of an inch lip on a steel bar should be able to pull it out of an aluminium casting.
Ok... that's good to know... hopefully I can find some freeze spray.... I've attached a tool I fabricated from an Ikea bar and part of a bicycle bottle holder... Lol. Switzerland is such a pain in the ass to find car tools. Anyway, thanks for the advice... keep you posted.

guest7581

• Topic Starter
The reason i used heat is because of this video:

guest7581

• Topic Starter
what do you think about this tool (photo attached)? Ever use one?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member

I've never use one of those. I've seen them, and the principle is sound - it's just a standard sort of puller that is made to fit through a bearing.

If it will fit through the bearing, it may well work perfectly pulling from an aluminium casting. However, if it turns out to be stubborn, I always prefer something I can attach a slide hammer to. Don't underestimate the power of the hammer thump!

Heat is generally good, it expands metals, but it can get a little more unpredictable when dissimilar metals are involved. One advantage of getting something like a bearing hot is that when it expands, any corrosion between surfaces tends to crack, making removal easier, even after it's cooled again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:15:10 PM by sparky Paul »

guest7581

• Topic Starter

I've never use one of those. I've seen them, and the principle is sound - it's just a standard sort of puller that is made to fit through a bearing.

If it will fit through the bearing, it may well work perfectly pulling from an aluminium casting. However, if it turns out to be stubborn, I always prefer something I can attach a slide hammer to. Don't underestimate the power of the hammer thump!
I agree...

guest7581

• Topic Starter
Although i did use my fabricated tool and a heavy hammer and it didn't budge.... looks like i have to order a slide hammer and try and find some freeze spray :P

Tags: