Author Topic: Mystery Noise  (Read 5077 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Mystery Noise
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
Since I bought my GE Jazz it has had an annoying rattle from somewhere over my right shoulder which the dealer could not locate.

It is there most of the time and it doesn't matter particularly what size bump you go over that triggers it off.

The other day I had a passenger in the right rear seat, a rare happening. They had their seat belt on and I realised that the noise had stopped.

Investigation showed that if you slightly pulled on that seat belt there was a slight rattling noise similar to the subject noise which I assume was coming from the seat belt reel. The belt works when pulled hard. Fastening the seat belt into its buckle when not occupied has cured the noise problem !

Vic.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Mystery Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
Wish they were all that simple even if it was a pain to find.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »
Gordon Bennett!  8)
That takes me back to a Renault 21 I had donkey's years ago. It had exactly the same rattle on the LHS rear seatbelt!

Leave the belt buckled up and it stopped.
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

guest4324

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
I have an annoying noise behind sometimes, found out it's not there when my daughter's not in the car!!  ;D

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
I'll ditto that Stupot except that it's our great grandson, he never stops rabbiting unless he nods off.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
Had a similar strange noise in my wifes Jazz,  turned out to be seat belt fastener knocking on the hard plastic of the wheel arch at side of rear seat when seat belt hanging down - again buckling it up stopped the noise.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
Absolutely nothing to do with a Jazz BUT many many years ago my Brother in Law bought a brand new Mini. Back and forwards to the dealer cos every time he went round a R/H bend there was a clunk. This went on for many months. In desperation he asked me, He was a ships Captain and looked upon lowly me as knowing nuffin. Funny how he always came to me with his car problems.  Well off we went, round the R/H bend. I will say he drove his car like he drove his BP super tanker.  I   removed his can of de-icer from  the door pocket and low and behold the clunk was gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Had a similar strange noise in my wifes Jazz,  turned out to be seat belt fastener knocking on the hard plastic of the wheel arch at side of rear seat when seat belt hanging down - again buckling it up stopped the noise.

Another source of a rattle on the GD model is the front passenger seat belt knocking on the door pillar when the belt is not in use and is cured by ensuring that the tongue of the seat belt is inboard of the belt.

Vic.

guest5251

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
ok i know i found this issue on another jap brands i.e lexus ,toyota,nissan, i have noticed that the lower seatbelt mounting bolt has a shoulder machined into it and in my opinion it is too long as this allows the lower seat belt buckle to rattle along the length of the shoulder i made a plastic spacer and the covered the ends with some self adhesive felt and this cured it.
i have attached a very rough drg but for arguements sake say the lower buckle is 6mm wide and the shoulder is 10mm long it can then move 4 mm along the bolt

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything