Author Topic: Any Experience of Automatics?  (Read 10167 times)

Rbz5416

• Approved Member
Any Experience of Automatics?
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
Considering a Mk II & would appreciate some input from those that have driven auto models. I understand that Honda switched from the CVT of the original Jazz to a semi-auto system (i-Shift?) & then switched back. I've read several reviews that say the i-Shift should be avoided but don't say why.

So I's be grateful for any input, especially from those that have experience of both in Mk II guise. I've driven the original CVT so know what that's like, which is a bit laboured when overtaking/joining a dual carriageway.

guest5319

Re: Any Experience of Automatics?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »
I have a 3 year old CVT and have been very pleased with it, so much so that I have just ordered a new one.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »
The iShift takes a little time to get involved with.

The CVT is very smooth and easy to live with.

The iShift has better economy than the cvt.

I really love those postings from journalists that spent no time understanding the iShift - they put people off buying the car! AND so it makes it a sensible choice for the money - the Ex has more in it than the non iShift EX stablemates. It is the closest thing to a bargain in an expensive car range.

The primary complaint is that it is jerky to drive. However you have to remember you are driving a manual car not an auto and things start to add up.

Buy a CVT and keep the prices of the iShift low:) I wouldn't mind a bit!

On the power delivery at speed- iShift is really good at using the 5k revs and above, you can get to 90mph in 3rd up a hill. Drop the cogs using the flappy paddles. The engine noise goes up  - but ignore than and concentrate on using the available power. Ive never actually found it lacking, just use the very free revs at the upper / red area. Its a lot of fun.

There are frustrations but occasionally using the flappy paddles to overcome the on board power mapping / gear change in certain circumstances works a treat.

The engine is made to drop revs when changing gear. This can catch you out now and then but I now like the idiosyncrasies it offers. I think it has character:)

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »
Hello, I can thoroughly recommend the mk2 cvt, had mine three and a half years. The mk 2 has a different start up arrangement from the mk1. The mk 1 had a starter clutch,which worked ok, but needed to have the auto transmission fluid changed often. I had the mk1 for 4 years and needed 3 oil changes in that time. Mk 2 has traditional torque converter start up which does not have the problem of the mk1.  I drive mine in S mode in town and the performance I find is very good. Fuel consumption is not as good as Honda claim, over the three and a half years ownership total mpg has been 41.  It will do 65 mpg on motorway runs

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
Hi Guys

Looks as though the opinions are going to be pretty evenly matched, so I will put my 2 pennyworth in.
Whilst I have no experience of the Mk1 CVT, my first Jazz was a 2010 I-shift EX and I hated it! In fact if it had not been for trying a friends Mk 2 CVT I would probably have put off Jazz cars for life.
As another member says, it is not an automatic car and should not be considered as such.
For me the main problem was, it would just not change gear when I wanted it to. Imagine pulling out of a side road onto a busy main road, when half way across, acceleration is suddenly lost whilst the gearbox slowly changes gear!!! in fact much slower than you could change a manual box.

I only kept it for 4 or 5 months. Since then I have had 2 Mk2 CVT cars and I love them, currently on a 63 plate CVT EX with 12150 miles on the clock. I note that the 'A' trip has 9555 miles on it and records 45.4 MPG. The best recorded consumption so far has been 59.4 MPG on a motorway trip up north, staying within the speed limits.
To me, the current CVT with its Torque converter is the best thing since sliced bread, always in the right gear for the situation and if you really do want to play boy racers, then drop it into S Mode, step on the gas and hang on!

I would be very surprised, if having driven both types, you would opt for the I-shift.
Again, for me you either want a Manual or an Auto, not a half way house.
I suppose you have to ask yourself, why did Honda get rid of the I-shift so quickly? I understand due to the multitude of complaints received, which affected sales.

Best regards to all.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
Almost all automated manuals like Ishift or Toyota's MMT are a piece of manure and should be avoided due to jerky changes and long term unreliability..

I have a CVT - owned for three years. It's a delight with super smooth changes.. and no issues.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »
I have had my I-shift for three years now and am delighted with it, so much so, that I would normally have changed by now but having driven a CVT there is no chance.
As for jerky changes, rubbish, it is as smooth as you want it to be if you drive properly.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
We have 59 reg i-shift, and a 61 reg CVT Hybrid. The CVT is a lot smoother than the i-shift but also a lot more expensive to buy when in the hybrid, so if funds allow go for the CVT, if not the i-shift isn't that bad at all and I would still go for an i-shift Jazz rather than an auto Ford.

Rbz5416

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Thanks guys.

guest5371

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46:37 PM »
I've got a 2011 CVT and its really smooth, only difference with this and the MKI CVT is that this one doesn't creep as much as the older model.

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »
Started with a Mitsubishi Colt 3 speed auto then went onto a Citroen Volcane 4 speed auto, then a Rover 45 V6 auto and now the dreaded Jazz I shift.
It took time but now I have got used to it I cannot see why there is so much antipathy towards the I shift. Using the flappy paddles, when needed, gives complete control over the car. Yes, of course there is a slight delay, after all it is not an automatic but gear changes are smooth and usually at the right time. HOWEVER, don't you just love that word, yesterday was our fortnightly trip to Truro. On the way home we join the A30 at Fraddon where the good old government saved money on a bridge by giving virtually no run in up a hill, so I get the car into 2nd gear using the flappy paddles and traffic willing off I go. Yesterday, the road was full of visitors so it was a case of getting a shift on ( sorry no pun intended) up the hill overtaking a lorry, when the car changed up. I didn't think it would in 'manual' but obviously the car thought the revs were getting too high. Another of Mr Hondas little extras? It's nice to know you don't run out of revs when you hit maximum. Normally, as soon as I am up to the speed of others just push the lever across into 'auto'. Also on steep hills, eg by Jamaica Inn I usually select 5 manual and I find the car maintains speed up the hills. Little beggar is often still accelerating when others are falling off. No I am a convert. As has been said, drive it properly and it will delight, let it slog and yes it will jerk and phaff about. Remember Jazz drivers are classified as old F**Ts but we don't have to comply with the label, drive it and enjoy it, I do now. Before anyone starts squealing about fuel consumption, it's still returning approx 45 mpg overall.   I just hope I won't have to eat humble pie and have to put up a post about that 'B' I shift!!!!!!!!!!!

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
That comment about iShift having long term unreliability is not an informed fact - just unreliable opinion! No insult intended but they are reliable. Thats a fact.

guest5355

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Hi. I'm a retired professional driver (private sector) and I have had the pleasure of driving some of the best vehicles on this planet(including most German, Italian, and the very best of British manufactured ones the vast majority were automatics and those with the semi-manual I-shift type box's were not up to the standard that most drivers expected) however the CVT type are a gift from the Gods .
My wife and I have just bought a Jazz EX automatic and in my opinion the CVT is one of the smoothest gearboxes I have driven and using it to go shopping etc. in Essex it's doing 47ish mpg. really cant wait to really get on the open road, with the exception of the M25, 
 We test drove a Toyota with I-shift a few weeks ago and boy does it let the brand down.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
really cant wait to really get on the open road, with the exception of the M25, 
I wouldn't classify the M25 as "open road"  ;D

I've also found the CVT to be very smooth but then, it should be: There are no gears to change and just a drive belt to move along which is inherently a progressive process.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rbz5416

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
All very interesting.

Can't say that I've seen the i-Shift selling for markedly less than CVT. But it looks like it will be moot anyway, as the change back to CVT was made before the age range of vehicles I'd be looking at.

Thanks again for all the input.

Tags:

anything