Author Topic: Honda Jazz GE 1.4 i-VTEC EX manual review  (Read 8076 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Jazz GE 1.4 i-VTEC EX manual review
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
So at last I get to post a review of the Jazz GE. I wrote this in February 2009 after taking a 1.4 i-VTEC EX manual demo car for a test drive from a local dealer; although I have expanded it in places to fit in more with Clubjazz (the original draft was written for general non-Honda car forum) and updated some factual information, the contents of this review reflects my opinion of the Jazz GE at that time.

On with the review...

Styling

From the outset the new GE Jazz is instantly recognisable as...well, a Jazz. Those familiar headlights and steeply raked windscreen all project the typical look of Honda's small car, but updated and mixed in with styling DNA from the 2006-on Euro Civic in the shape of the bonnet design and front bumpers. Completing the look are some classy LED rear lights and tapered roof all to the benefit of the looks. But on the whole there are no surprises in store. In plain English this means Honda have played it safe in a class where the latest Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Corsa have ditched the traditional look of their predecessors for a new radical style. But considering how successful the previous GD Jazz was, this comes as no surprise that Honda have played it safe.

Are we damning the GE with faint praise? Absolutely not. Increasing safety legislation has created a generation of bloated superminis with the Fiesta and Corsa being prime examples. The Jazz's monospace design avoids this problem, giving the Jazz a cleaner and sleeker profile then either the Fiesta or Corsa. We even feel the Jazz will also date much better then either of these two rivals. Certainly it is less van-like than the goldfish bowl Renault Modus or frumpy Vauxhall Meriva. Perhaps the Jazz is the [Porsche] 911 of superminis, at least in terms of styling evolution?!

Interior

One of the most notable changes about the interior is the how deep he dashboard extends forward. That is of course if you can avert your eyes from the more 'plastic' interior materials. Gone are the quality textured interior plastics of the GD model that spanned the top to bottom of the dashboard, to be replaced by a two different grades of material for the top and lower half, both of which are...well, very 'plastic' and obviously shinier and cheaper. And where the (later) higher spec GD models had chrome door pulls, these have giving way to cheaper plastic items. Dare I say it, but it almost appears to be cost-cutting.

On a more positive note is the general design. Clearly influenced by the Civic, the layout is stylish and ergonomically sound. The steering wheel – straight from the Civic - looks and feels great. And if the cabin materials had you in doubt, the feeling of real build quality will restore your faith; every switch, column stalk and button has that typical Honda tactile feeling missing from any Ford, Vauxhall, French car or even VW group products at this price level.

Front visibility was a weak point of the GD models. The GE's slimmer door pillars are further away and the larger front quarterlights give a substantial improvement in front visibility. Rear visibility has taken a slight step backwards but its miles better then the tiny screen on the new Ford Fiesta and the external mirrors are huge to aid reversing.

One of main trump cards is of course the interior space and the 'Magic Seats'. The increased wheelbase and redesigned headrests remove the need to slide the front seats forward or remove the rear headrests to fold the rear seats flat. I don't need to go into too much detail on a Honda Jazz forum about the Magic Seats, but in a class where even a fixed rear seat cushion is commonplace on many rivals, the sheer cleverness and usefulness of this loading system cannot be underestimated.

Boot space has increased and 1.4-litre models now have a split-level boot. The old retractable cover has been replaced by a traditional parcel shelf; personally, I not a fan of the GD's retractable cover, but it appears from early comments made by ex-GD Jazzers in our forums that I'm in the minority.

Equipment levels are impressive in the top-range EX model. Standard equipment includes a radio with MP3/WMA CD player, climate control, privacy glass and 16” alloy wheels. Rear electric windows, USB connection for iPod and flash drive, front and rear curtain airbags, VSA and a panoramic glassroof are all standard. The glassroof is particularly impressive and is fitted with an electrically operated sunshade although as with the glassroof fitted to the Civic, it doesn't slide open as similar roofs do on the Renault Clio or MINI. As expected with Honda, the options list is restricted so if you want the USB or glassroof you have to plump for the top range EX model. In fact, the only factory options are the metallic paint, sat nav and I-SHIFT automated manual transmission. Most other items are only available as dealer fit extras, sometime at higher price then on some other rivals.

Ride and Handling

As with the Jazz GD, it quickly becomes clear that underneath is a strong chassis that with a bit more fine tuning could challenge the class-leading Ford Fiesta for ride and handling. The increase in length, wheelbase and width – but unchanged height - makes the Jazz feel more surefooted on the road. Turn in and the GE grips and hangs on well with more bite then before. But have Honda gone back to the jiggly ride of those 2002-model GDs? Maybe the extra unsprung weight of the 16” wheels are to blame, but the suspension crashes more in the bumps and on rough surfaces feels less composed then the previous model. A quick back-to-back run in my 2007 GD Sport (with standard 15” wheels and Honda's second revision of the GD's suspension settings) along the same road confirms this, although the GE is clearly more stable with less body movement and improved NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) levels. Maybe those fitted with 15” wheels may fair better, for now the jury is still out on if the ride has improved.

Steering has been remapped to tackle another area of criticism of the GD models. It's certainly lighter and sharper; in fact, jump straight in after driving a GD and you may find yourself making over-corrections until you get used to the weighing and responsiveness. Parking requires much less effort (for a car often driven by elderly drivers, the GD did have quite heavy steering!) Can this be considered an improvement? Overall I'll still sit on the fence; this was a short test drive of a dealer's demo car and there where times were I missed the extra weight and meatiness of the GD's steering.

Performance

The eight valve twin-spark engine i-DSi engine has been replaced by a 1.4-litre, 16-valve VTEC unit producing 100PS. The smooth engine feels livelier across the rev then before range and 0-62 time is claimed to be 11.5 seconds. The gearchange is superb – very short throw and with a pleasing feeling. I’ve never come across a better gearchange – BMW 118d included.

It must be noted that as before, the UK is still denied the 120PS 1.5-litre i-VTEC engine even though the Swindon factory which builds the Jazz since late 2009 also ships right-hand drive 1.5-litre models for South Africa.

Overall

The Jazz GE builds on the strong points of the previous model. It's a shame that Honda though didn't pay a little more attention to the ride and interior quality, but nothing comes close for space and build quality is superb.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:39:59 PM by RichardA »

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
Re: Honda Jazz GE 1.4 i-VTEC EX manual review
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Catching up on your earlier posts, Richard. Obviously you were reviewing this as a new car, but as someone who has owned a Mk1 in the past and now owns a 2013 Mk2, I agree entirely - I llike the slightly more chunky body and stable road manners, but agree the interior qality isn't as good (although it still has that great Jazz smell, I noted) and I think the suspension is a tad firmer. My Mk1 was the CVT auto, which was brilliant, but having been driving manuals between Hondas, I must say I've gotten used to driving stick again and find the Mk2's manual box the best thing I've ever driven - it's just so smooth. I think where you really have hit the nail on the head is Honda's sensible 'evolution over revolution' which they've so patently failed to do with the wacky Civic (to my conservative eye) which means that they've kept the great things (magic seats, short overhangs) and just slightly fettled the MPV look so that the overall appearance is a bit chunkier but retains the useful boxy shape most of us love. I've gotten used to my Mk2, and with the recent addition of reversing sensors, think it's the perfect car for me.

guest7917

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
Referring to my post https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10470.0 I think the Manual version of the i-VTEC is verging on the undriveable in busy traffic, particularly now that I have a DSi version to compare it with.

There is just NO POWER under 2800rpm and you are forever having to smash it into 1st gear and thrash it up to 5000rpm to extricate yourself from semi-dangerous situations on roundabouts, etc, where ZERO power below 27mph in 2nd gear has left you bogging-along in the way of fast moving traffic.

If there was a way of remapping the ECU so that the second VTEC valves open at 1700rpm instead of 2800rpm, it would behave a lot more like a DSi and be basically driveable.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »
Referring to my post https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10470.0 I think the Manual version of the i-VTEC is verging on the undriveable in busy traffic, particularly now that I have a DSi version to compare it with.

There is just NO POWER under 2800rpm and you are forever having to smash it into 1st gear and thrash it up to 5000rpm to extricate yourself from semi-dangerous situations on roundabouts, etc, where ZERO power below 27mph in 2nd gear has left you bogging-along in the way of fast moving traffic.

If there was a way of remapping the ECU so that the second VTEC valves open at 1700rpm instead of 2800rpm, it would behave a lot more like a DSi and be basically driveable.

The i-Vtec is driveable - but nowhere near as pleasant in urban traffic as the I-Dsi,  as I have said before my wife (and me ) would have been perfectly happy with the I-Dsi engine in a MK2 body.   The I-Vtec is far too revvy for urban use, and it needed a 6 speed box with less of a jump between 1st and 2nd  ( the I-Dsi was perfectly happy with 5 gears ).   Anyone with an I-Dsi I would hang on to it,  the later offerings have more gimmicks and toys but are not as driveable. The real world  fuel consumption on I-DSi is better as well, both me and her indoors used to get good figures without really trying.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
My first Jazz was an early Mk 2 and I don't remember encountering the problem you describe - I felt the enigne pulled quite well given that I was moving down from a vehicle with a 1.8 litre engine. It's the 1.3 Mk 3 which is severely lacking in low end performance. Perhaps you should try the Jazz hybrid as the bottom end performance is boosted by the electric motor.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
I've been in plenty of tight spots in my 1.4 (1,339 cc, naughty Honda) Jazz and have found in first and second it pulls very nicely.

stuartbooth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 100
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
The MK11 VTEC and low gearing reduces this car to a Nuisance Grandad Car. Please Please re-introduce the DSI engine.

Tags: