Author Topic: Just not cricket  (Read 3643 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Just not cricket
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Yes I was aware of that, but you cannot just undertake because there is a gap in the inside lane. Rule 268 is for keeping the traffic moving when there is congestion, not so that BMWs can make quicker progress to their next meeting or drug deal.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
Where the M8 joins the A720 Edinburgh City Bypass visitors get into the outside lane, to make a right turn at the roundabout. Both lanes are signed A720S and locals stay in the inside lane. Within the last couple of hundred yards of the M8 there is a slip for the A720 North, and a lane opens up for Hermiston Gait. As a result the inside lane suddenly moves forward about 200 yards.
When you join the City Bypass the inside lane becomes the A720 inside lane, and the outside lane has to merge with the A720 traffic. So changing lanes for a shortcut is a bad idea.
On Saturday I had a joker stop in front of me, holding up the entire inside lane of the M8, while he waited on someone letting him into the outside lane. There was nothing in front of him. The merge onto the Bypass was particularly crowded on Saturday and even though I travelled the length of the City Bypass at 50 mph it was 10 miles before he got in front of me again. I laughed my socks off.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
I am sure I remember reading or seeing something on the BBC website a few years ago which led me to believe they had changed the law, hence my comments.

So, I telephoned the 'plod' helpline this morning for clarity on the overtaking/undertaking. It seems the key word here is discretion. The same rules apply as always where overtaking in the inside lanes to avoid congestion is justified if deemed reasonable due to circumstances. I think most of us have done this for sensible reasons. Overtaking at high speed, which seems to be the increasing trend, if considered dangerous at the discretion of the police, is punishable. Equally, travelling at a slow speed @55-60 in the middle and overtaking lane could also be considered dangerous at the discretion of the police, depending on the circumstances and therefore punishable. So, it seems my initial impression that they had changed the rule was incorrect. What we are seeing is the 'bending' of the rules. Sorry for any confusion. Let's just hope the benders do not kill anyone in the process.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:31:45 AM by MartinJG »

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
Mmm, exciting stuff. You should try train spotting, great place on platform 3 at Leeds station, or i think there is an 'old bus' rally on in Manchester soon, i'll keep you posted.

Tags: