Author Topic: Hybrid 2014 - rust spots along rear tailgate hinge area  (Read 7249 times)

amghosted

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid HS & Jazz Sport
Hybrid 2014 - rust spots along rear tailgate hinge area
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
Hi All,

Just picked up a White Pearl 2014 Hybrid HS for my wife and used it for the first time shopping yesterday. When back home and emptying the car with the tailgate open my eyes caught sight of rust spots along the top rear roof section and on the tailgate hinges. Now this car is Honda approved but over 3 years old (standard corrosion warranty) so I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer, on what they propose to do about it?
Had I seen the rust spots prior to collecting the car I would have certainly pointed them out. Anyway I checked our other Jazz from 2003 and no sign of rust whatsoever, so all I can imagine is that that area of the car was poorly prepared and painted during manufacture.
I'm sure Honda will resolve the issue, but my concern will be in the future when other spots start appearing from shoddy paintwork. I know the rear wheel arch is an issue as that were mud collects and causes rust so I may take wax oil action very soon to prevent this from happening.

Gary   

[attachment deleted by admin]

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Hybrid 2014 - rust spots along rear tailgate hinge area
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
My first reaction looking at that pic was that something chemically corrosive has landed in drops and caused that. Could be well wrong.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
Often zinc coated steel not used in roof and upper area of cars, as these areas not considered areas liable to corrode.

I would definitely ask Honda dealer about it,  it is good to point out defects as soon after you get the car as possible,  but do not rely on word of mouth - put your complaints in writing,  even if only emails as this sets up a correspondence trail which will come in useful if you dealer does not respond properly to your concerns.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
My first reaction looking at that pic was that something chemically corrosive has landed in drops and caused that. Could be well wrong.

I would have said dust from an angle grinder used on mild steel...  (which also makes small pits in the paint as the dust is hot)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
I would have said dust from an angle grinder used on mild steel...  (which also makes small pits in the paint as the dust is hot)
That's certainly what it looks like. Needs the dealer to do something about it.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »
When it is on top of the paint, like said above, use a fallout remover (deironizer). That is used often on wheels for brake dust and can also safe be used on paint.

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Good luck with the dealer. I found rust within 3 months of buying the car, told to buy a touch up pen. Complaints got nowhere. I have also found the same rust spots on the same panel. Over the time I have owned the car, I have realised that it has been in a few knocks. It is now obvious that the rear door had been worked on and as said an angle grinder was used and the 'crud'( thanks Culzean) had not been cleaned off. Consequently the filings had rusted, along the panel securing the hinges, which incidentally are rusting around the pins. Some rust curer and silicone spray has halted this.
How do I know an angle grinder had been used, well, recently the hatch door window was replaced and when I took the cover off the rear wiper, there on the underneath was clear marks  caused by an angle grinder.
I cannot find out who did the repairs but if they are the result of an approved Honda repair, then I am appalled. Last Sunday, when trying to sort out the stuck rear door window, I saw  where paintwork had been rubbed down and not sprayed. The door hinge bolts are all rusting, where spanners have been used on them.
The car allegedly had a 2 yr Honda extended warranty. I think the paper it was printed on was worth more.

amghosted

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I'm waiting for Honda to back back to me this morning reference the rust spots.

Having had another look I don't think its grinder particles as when looking closely you can see the grey of the metal roof panel underneath showing through, which would indicate to me that it just didn't get painted properly in the first place.

They just called me and I'm taking the car back to the dealers now for them to have a look.

Gary

amghosted

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
Well the dealers looked at the rust and believes that it is structural rust hence 12 warranty which is better for them as Honda UK pick up the repair bill. Even if it was surface rust (3 year warranty) it would have been present 4 months ago when the car was within its 3 year warranty so Honda UK should still pay the repair bill. Anyway had to take to car to an assessor who has also taken photo's and had a poke around and will send Honda the report and repair estimate.

Just a case of waiting now, but good news is that it will be repaired by someone. I'll update when further events unfold.

Gary

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:37:13 PM »
Sounds like a result.

amghosted

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
Car now all sorted, left it at the dealers as we weren't in a rush to collect the car and then it spent a week at the paint shop, so now no sign of rust at all and I doubt there ever will be in that area again. Fixed under the Honda corrosion warranty so that way the dealer didn't have to pay for the work.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
Result , well pleased you managed to have your Jazz repaired

Tags: