Author Topic: If only it was German...  (Read 2753 times)

guest4078

If only it was German...
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:51:22 PM »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: If only it was German...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:53 AM »
Richard Ingram probably earns quite some shares BMW for every "review."  :'(
If nothing goes right, go left!

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Tut tut. Perish the thought that a motoring (or any other) journalist would not give a completely objective review. As if lavish hospitality, free holidays, bungs, free 'loan' cars or advertising revenue would influence their opinion. Oh, and most of them are about 19, or act as if they are.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:54:05 PM »
... Oh, and most of them are about 19, or act as if they are.
[/qte]

I think that is grossly unfair.To 19 year olds.

Most muttering journalists are stuck at a mental age of around 12...     months

guest3735

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:47:55 AM »
the key to motoring journalism was unlocked for me by none other than clarkson. say what you like about the man, but for me, he's more honest than most.... and i quote

"treat what i say as entertainment and nothing more.... i certainly don't want you to buy a car based on my narrow judgement"

motoring journalists don't have to change tyres, put kids in the car, commute, or live with it when it goes wrong, unless you've gone for a long term test.... but even so, a dealer seeing a press car coming in, is bound to be extra nice sir.... witness most magazines testing ferraris and porsches every couple of months..... they don't for the main, live in the real world....

as a result, i look for reliability.... low insurance grouping, interior space and reasonable fuel economy.... diesel is a non starter because i don't do the miles and the way things are going, diesels "clean" reputation will take a knock soon.... (boris, london, particulates)

mrs mkjazz has a seat mii (vw up copy) and even though normally vw are overpriced and under talented, i have to say that on a recent trip from london to falkirk and back, it was pretty quiet (for a city car, not in the league of an s class) and despite all the tests/ reviews i've seen, i didn't have to change down on hills, it wasn't gutless, and i wouldn't hesitate to do it all again.

the moral of the story is to take every test with a pinch of salt.... because the person doing it has different priorities to you.... and is usually being paid. test the car yourself and if it fits with what you want it to do, then take a punt on it..... especially if it's from a proven company such as honda!

Tags: