Author Topic: advice -- knocking when turning over bumps  (Read 7005 times)

johnboro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE 5-dr
advice -- knocking when turning over bumps
« on: August 18, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Hi,

So sorry for a double thread in a short time. The Jazz I've just picked up yesterday seems to have a fault. Whenever turning tight left (exiting/entering side streets for example) over any kind of up or down bump, there is a terrible knocking and creaking sound. The bumps don't seem high enough to make it bottom out and I can't see the exhaust hanging down or anything. Am I right to suspect something in the suspension?

My instinct is to try and reject it on the basis of this fault, I am not in the mood to go chasing around a serious issue and understand from CAB, Honest John websites etc. that in the 30 day period I am not obliged to give the dealer a chance to fix the fault first. Any opinions gratefully received.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: advice -- knocking when turning over bumps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:57:58 PM »
This fault presumably didn't shown up during a test drive?
If purchased from a used car dealer, the Sale of Goods Act, or whatever it is called now, says that any faults that occur within six months of purchase are deemed to have been present when the vehicle was purchased and are the responsibility of the dealer.
This of course excludes items that can be attributed to fair wear and tear such as brakes ,tyres etc.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
I'd take it back, tell him you are rejecting it, and give him the chance to put it right. Sounds like the wishbone bush. If you are happy with the car, in all other respects, it would be a shame to let it go for the sake of a simple repair.

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
Vic, not sure if it did, it was rather a brief test drive and I imagine I was probably ready for a cold car to make some sounds when pootling around, so didn't spot anything untoward. It's only today that I repeatedly tested the motion and confirmed there's a fault. In email contact and the dealer is trying to use the fact that I inspected the car (I'm a layman) and the brief test drive as evidence there can't have been a fault at sale time. Seems to me if that was how it worked, the consumer rights act wouldn't exist and wouldn't have the 30-day provision for rejection in cases of a fault. He seems to be making a 'sold as seen' kind of argument and I don't see that this removes any statutory rights. The onus, as I understand the CRA, is on him to prove the fault wasn't there at sale.

Anyway, we'll see what his offer is to fix it. Thanks for your advice both.

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:19:44 PM »
update: the dealer wants me to bring it in with a view to rejection and refund, doesn't seem as much interested in the idea of trying to fix it, perhaps partly because I live quite far away, or because he thought I seemed like a trouble maker  :(.

Just been testing it a little more, to check it isn't just the car bottoming out. Doesn't seem to be but it does only occur on turns combined with inclines, and I'd be embarrassed if that was all it was.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:39:00 PM »
but it does only occur on turns combined with inclines, and I'd be embarrassed if that was all it was.

It still shouldn't make a noise.

Vic.

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
but it does only occur on turns combined with inclines, and I'd be embarrassed if that was all it was.

It still shouldn't make a noise.

Vic.

Yeah, I guess so and I guess I've bottomed out enough times before to know what it would sound like. The exhaust seems to be in place so that seems unlikely to be knocking anything. Straight reject seems simplest though I do take Jocko's point about it possibly being an otherwise fine car. hmph.
Thanks again.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
I could even be an anti roll bar drop link. A cheap and simple fix. Before you take it back, pop into your local garage, or even Kwik Fit, and ask them to check it out. Get a free, independent, check, then make your decision.

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
I could even be an anti roll bar drop link. A cheap and simple fix. Before you take it back, pop into your local garage, or even Kwik Fit, and ask them to check it out. Get a free, independent, check, then make your decision.

good idea. so I go in for the suspension check up or something and just to get an idea of their opinion? Guess I can also ask about the amount of rust on the underbody and so on, and if it all seems fine and is a cheap fix as you say the car could still be worth keeping. just a pain to deal with in the first few days after buying isn't it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:08:45 PM »
Tell them you have a knock. Once they tell you what is wrong and what it will cost just say you will have think about it!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
As Jocko says, it could just be a anti roll bar droplink, a cheap and easy fix - 5-10 minutes. Even if it's a wishbone bush, it's not a major job.

As suggested above, take it somewhere ,tell them you have a knock, and get a quote. You can always go back to the dealer with it, I'd be surprised if he didn't stump up, or fix it himself.

As for the rust, it depends how old the car is, and where the rust is. Ours is 10 years old and there are signs of rust, but nothing to worry about. The main areas that will give you problems in the near future are corroded brake pipes and significant rust on the actual bodyshell, particularly around body sills and suspension and subframe mounting areas.

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
thanks paul. now the aircon doesn't work either though it seemed to on the test drive. maybe they just gassed it up before hand.  ::)

johnboro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
Received one email last night offering to fix it at no cost and provide a courtesy car, and one email this morning saying the best thing would be to proceed with a refund. Make your mind up...

It's not clear to me whether they are obliged to attempt a repair or can jump immediately to a refund if they can't be bothered.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
You would think it would be in the dealers interest to at least have a go at repairing it. After all, if you return it for a refund, he will still have the car on his hands, with its faults. Perhaps he thinks that if he is sufficiently obtuse, you will get fed up and get it repaired yourself.

You have to give the dealer a fair chance to repair any defects, but if they choose not to, it's easy for them to say that the car is beyond economic repair. You can't force them to repair it, their liability is limited to the price paid.

If you are happy to keep the car with all the defects repaired, you need to make this clear to the dealer.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
If it's got other faults as well, you say the aircon doesn't work, I would go for the refund.

Vic.

Tags:

anything