Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694778 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #990 on: September 15, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
MacDonald's, in the Netherlands, are installing EV charging stations in everyone of their restaurant car parks.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/09/12/nl-every-mcdonalds-branch-to-get-a-fast-charging-station/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #991 on: September 15, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »
MacDonald's, in the Netherlands, are installing EV charging stations in everyone of their restaurant car parks.

https://www.electrive.com/2018/09/12/nl-every-mcdonalds-branch-to-get-a-fast-charging-station/

So no more fast food ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #992 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
The new Audi e-tron. Not signalling at a junction near you, from 2019.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #993 on: September 19, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
I'm convinced Audi's sweeping indicators are designed to encourage their customers to use their indicators, at least as a means of showing off if nothing else!  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #994 on: September 19, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
I'm convinced Audi's sweeping indicators are designed to encourage their customers to use their indicators, at least as a means of showing off if nothing else!  ;)
You could be right! The e-tron in the video has brake lights which start in the middle and sweeps to the edges. (See 8 minutes in)
Are cameras instead of mirrors legal in UK? Video says it is the plan in Europe. I know cars only needed a mirror, and old vehicles only had in interior mirror. I'll have to check out the regs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #995 on: September 19, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
Yes, quite legal. Found this:

MOT Test of Mirrors – Visibility (3)
View to the rear
This section is now covered under the new general section ‘Visibility’ (3), which includes Windscreens, and is repeated in the relevant section on this website here.

The Tester will check that all mandatory rear-view mirrors or indirect vision devices provide an adequate view to the rear from the driver’s seat.

Indirect vision cameras may replace mirrors on some vehicles. If such devices are fitted, the camera(s) and the screen will be inspected.

Rear view mirrors and indirect vision devices can be any of the following positions:

an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the offside of the vehicle
an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the nearside of the vehicle
an interior mirror or device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #996 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »
Cameras have their advantages (eg less likely to be damaged) but one probably needs a backwards-looking cameras on the front corners to cover the blind spot over the driver's shoulder in addition to any camera on the back. However, putting cameras on the vehicle body makes them lower than mirrors and hence more vulnerable to collecting muck. I also wonder how well the sensors can handle a long dose of direct sunshine without quality deterioration.

Going slightly off-topic, but I've often wondered why aircraft don't have backwards-looking nose-mounted cameras so the pilot can see the condition of the engines (eg a fire warning) and wings without having to send someone to look. Such problems are infrequent but the cost would be negligble compared to the cost of the plane.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #997 on: September 19, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
However, putting cameras on the vehicle body makes them lower than mirrors and hence more vulnerable to collecting muck.
If you had a look at the video you would see that the cameras replace the side mirrors. They are smaller and more aerodynamic than door mirrors.
Mind you, the cost of replacing one would be quite sore, and I don't know how I would get on with the display being mounted just below the normal mirror position.
Regarding cost - I imagine if you could afford the car in the first place, the cost of replacing a "mirror" would put you neither up nor down.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #998 on: September 19, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
However, putting cameras on the vehicle body makes them lower than mirrors and hence more vulnerable to collecting muck.
If you had a look at the video you would see that the cameras replace the side mirrors. They are smaller and more aerodynamic than door mirrors.
Mind you, the cost of replacing one would be quite sore, and I don't know how I would get on with the display being mounted just below the normal mirror position.
Regarding cost - I imagine if you could afford the car in the first place, the cost of replacing a "mirror" would put you neither up nor down.

Hope camera lens is heated for winter use, cameras do tend to have lower dynamic range than human eye which may cause sun and lights of following cars to blank out display.  Pity when they now have chance to position display anywhere they want that they didn't give a larger display and mount display higher ( and on dash to be more in normal eye line ) after going to trouble of fitting a camera, but IMHO camera and screen just extra stuff to go wrong.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:59:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #999 on: September 19, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
Pity when they now have chance to position display anywhere they want that they didn't give a larger display and mount display higher ( and on dash to be more in normal eye line ) after going to trouble of fitting a camera
I thought the same. The door could be shaped to cover the mirror location, giving a larger screen in a more natural position. Then it dawned on me. Cameras in place of mirrors are illegal in some markets (the USA for instance), so do do that for Europe would require a different door for other locations.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #1000 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
Carwow indepth review of the Jaguar I-Pace:

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1001 on: September 20, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
That will definitely be my first choice when I win the lottery. I have even chosen the colour!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1002 on: September 20, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
This is a great video of a car that could do well once it is available in the UK. The Tesla Model 3, and as usual from Jonny Smith, no histrionics.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1003 on: October 01, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
Musks problems continue to mount up - now he has regulators on his case over market manipulation / fraud- and they have a very strong case against him.  Tesla may get snapped up by a proper car maker ( ducks ) as the share price continues to plummet...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45306117

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45679024

share price has rebounded today after Musk stepped down as Chairman,  but still volatile.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:11:16 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1004 on: October 01, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »
He still wants to take Tesla private. Maybe, as the share price drops, he will snap up the shares himself. He is the worlds 80th richest man with a personal worth of $20.1 billion. He has also said Tesla is very close to profitability.

Tags: