Author Topic: Tailgate lock locked  (Read 7236 times)

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
Tailgate lock locked
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »
Hi all

Had a bad day today, first my tyre busts at the side wall and now I cannot lock the rear of the car.

Had problems unlocking the tailgate, opened it today but i move the latch into the locked position twice, therefore cannot shut the tailgate.

How do I unlock the latch?

I can lock all the doors deadlock.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tailgate lock locked
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8520.msg43240#msg43240

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1849.msg21800#msg21800

plenty of info on this forum,  these are just a sample....... (use search function tailgate or boot lock)

Can you hear the tailgate solenoid 'clunking' when you try to lock and unlock the doors ?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:30:30 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
culzean

I'm not to sure, Is it possiable to take out the lock and move the latch to the unlocked postion?

The latch is at the 2 o'clock position I need it to be at the 6o'clock position so I can shut the tailgate and try and lock the tailgate.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
You can lock/unlock it with a screwdriver from inside the the car if needed, under the 30mm circular cover there is a latch you can push.

The primary thing is to ensure the handle outside is returning back to its normal position, if it sits part way then the lock has issues.  Just push the handle back right now but to fix it put some grease (or sunflower oil or similar) on the handle sides so it moves past the rusty bracket then give it a bit of exercise to work that in.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
how2

when you say 'latch' at 2 and 6 o'clock do you mean that the key slot is not vertical ? or is it the plastic 'flap' that you pull to open tailgate in the wrong position ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:40 AM »
how2

when you say 'latch' at 2 and 6 o'clock do you mean that the key slot is not vertical ? or is it the plastic 'flap' that you pull to open tailgate in the wrong position ?

Yes the The slot were the tailgate striker goes is not vertical, that slot is pointing at a 2 o'clock  position.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »
how2

Yes the The slot were the tailgate striker goes is not vertical, that slot is pointing at a 2 o'clock  position.

Any chance of a photo ?

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8520.msg43240#msg43240

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1849.msg21800#msg21800

plenty of info on this forum,  these are just a sample....... (use search function tailgate or boot lock)

Can you hear the tailgate solenoid 'clunking' when you try to lock and unlock the doors ?

if you look down second link to Chazz14 post,  he says

'I had the problem too, the latch was in the closed position,could not shut tailgate, used some penetrating spray on lock and boot handle, the handle wasnt so stiff and the lock released itself with the help of a small screwdriver to prise the lock mechanism down'.

Give the lock tongue a good lubing and maybe you can push back the lock 'latch' to its proper position with a screwdriver, but check the plastic flap you normally use to open the tailgate is pushed fully forward (towards front of car) because unless this is in the correct position (it only needs to be a fraction out of position to not work) the door will not lock or unlock.  Even the lever inside the tailgate (under the 30mm diameter rubber cover) is only an electrical switch and will not work properly if the plastic flap is not pushed fully forwards.

maybe you can try sending chazz14 a personal message to ask him to explain what he did in more detail because he said latch was in wrong position and he could not shut tailgate,  which seems to be your problem.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:50:18 PM by culzean »

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
Thanks for your help got it unlock and shut the boot but does not open, at least it is secure.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
Make sure the handle on the tailgate is pushed as far forward (towards the tailgate) as possible. I had the handle stuck slightly and it wouldn't unlock.

how2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 02:53:18 AM »
I will make sure that the handle is pushed forward.

Tags:

anything