Author Topic: CVT fluid level  (Read 1289 times)

CS35

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 07 Jazz sport
CVT fluid level
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:50 PM »
Hi everyone. I did a CVT fluid change yesterday. I used Honda CVT fluid. I warmed her up and set the hot level by the book. Then went for a 5 mile drive came back and let it idle again until the fan kicked in twice then checked level between 60 and 90 seconds. Got the level perfect on the upper dot of the hot mark. Happy !!! Anyway went outside earlier today and checked level stone cold out of curiosity and it was slightly above the upper hot level !!! This is my first time doing this job on this car.. anybody else experienced this and what should I do ? Many thanks.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: CVT fluid level
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
Hi CS35,

Afterwards did you check it again when hot, if so, and if it was ok, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd guess (but I don't know for a fact) that it is just oil dripping down from higher up in the gearsbox slowly over time, thereby raising the oil level inside the gearbox. This happens with engine oil so I'd guess it's the same with gearboxes.

CS35

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 07 Jazz sport
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:32:37 PM »
Thanks Mick. I haven't checked it hot since but I will do tomorrow and adjust if necessary. I take it the hot level is more important than the cold level.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
Again, just an educated guess, when the gearbox is hot, this is it's normal operating temperature, so it follows that when it is in this state is when it needs sufficient oil to protect it and dissipate heat, it doesn't really matter what the oil level is at when it's cooled down sitting on the driveway as it's not doing anything.

Always checking at the operating temperature as described also give a set reference point every time, eliminating potential discrepancies like different ambient temps changing the rate of cooling and so affecting the amount of expansion and contraction of components and oil itself.

Someone more knowledgeable may be able to correct me if I'm wrong as i'm no mechanic, still picking things up as I go along (every day's a school day!)

guest8104

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
Same here, when I check the car cold it seems to have more oil than it should, but when my mechanic checked it with the car warmed up, it was bang on at the top hot dot. Not to mention that the CVT Oil is almost invisible on the dip stick, so I'm alway a bit confused when checking.

Is there a proper way to check this? Cause I just do it like we check engine oil. But my mechanic had the car in gear with me stepping hard on the brake and engine running.

Tags:

anything