Author Topic: Missing maps on satnav -HELP  (Read 3582 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
Missing maps on satnav -HELP
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
One year service ask the dealer to update satnav on Navi Jazz.Nothing obviously amiss. First car with satnav so very inexperienced.

Now on an extended holiday and there are no maps for France or Italy. Disaster. We are now in Italy.
Have rung the dealers who were no help. They said we could reset it to factory defaults which would realign the satellites.

It appears to be able to do long distance navigation from large towns it can find  with very little detail either on motorways or blank areas and can estimate arrival times but there is no mapping nor do these two countries and possibly others appear in the list.

What should we do? Can we download these two countries? How? Hoping someone will rescue us.

guest7494

Re: Missing maps on satnav -HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:55 PM »
You could purchase a stick on sat nav in Italy and set Language to English, this would solve your problems pro tem.
And perhaps on return contact Honda or your unhelpful dealer for recompense.
Good luck hope all go’s well for you.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
If you have a smartphone with you, you could  simply use that for navigation and forget about the car system until you get back. Google Maps is free and works well, you can download offline maps to use it without a data connection if you want. Used that for a months touring of New Zealand without any problems, even in areas with non-existent cell coverage. Other free satnav apps are available, also with offline maps. You might need to invest in a cheap mount to hold the phone in a suitable  place.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
Have rung the dealers who were no help. They said we could reset it to factory defaults which would realign the satellites.
I hope you laughed when they said that :)

Pretty sure the US military would be fascinated to know that you could realign their satellites for them.  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
You can download the mapping from https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site. However, given that the downloadable mapping set is for a region (eg Europe)I wonder if there's an option in the satnav setup to enable on the mapping for each country.  I've got a Garmin device for my bike which has the capability to enable/disable the loaded maps. It probably makes sense to only load the relevant mapping as this will shorten the start-up time.

Otherwise, if you have an Android phone then Open Street Maps (OSMand) https://osmand.net/ lets you download mapping for several countries for free and includes a navigation capability. Once the software is installed and the map downloaded then it doesn't need a data connection.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:44 PM »
Are you sure that you have the EU maps selected and not just the UK ones?

HOME > Navigation > Settings > Maps & Vehicle > myMaps

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »

That is far too basic for the Honda dealer to know about and suggest!

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:51:12 AM »

My Jazz isn’t the NAVI version so I’m not not familiar with the system, but I’m surprised that you have to do that. It’s a navigation system, surely it knows where you are and ought to select the appropriate map automatically ?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »

My Jazz isn’t the NAVI version so I’m not not familiar with the system, but I’m surprised that you have to do that. It’s a navigation system, surely it knows where you are and ought to select the appropriate map automatically ?

Mine was set to UK by default.  That's how I know about the setting.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.
I do need to sort this as I am away as long as B****t allows.
I have a laptop and quite fast internet connection via a mobile phone sim mifi. I do not have a mobile phone data plan so can’t use that as a substitute..My preference is to install maps.
I have checked maps Northern Europe is installed and I have viewed the list in Change Country. Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland etc not there.
So how do I get more maps installed.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.
I do need to sort this as I am away as long as B****t allows.
I have a laptop and quite fast internet connection via a mobile phone sim mifi. I do not have a mobile phone data plan so can’t use that as a substitute..My preference is to install maps.
I have checked maps Northern Europe is installed and I have viewed the list in Change Country. Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland etc not there.
So how do I get more maps installed.
I need to prefix this comment by stating that my car doesn't have built-in navigation so i have no experience of this and have no idea how easy or difficult it is to update the maps. However, a quick forum search reveals another thread that might be worth a read:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10644.0

And in Reply #7 of that thread, Ron6319 posted a link to a site that claims to provide updates:
https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site;jsessionid=CC46C23DA67E25CA188B5F677DFCA2AC

Good luck !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
So how do I get more maps installed?
See the link I posted above https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11060.msg70729#msg70729 to https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site. Be forewarned, however, that the full European mapset might be more than 5GB (based on my standalone Tomtom) so you'll need a generous mobile data package.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
Follow the process in this document

http://www.techinfo.honda-eu.com/documents/22251/25091/Garmin+Navigation+Map+Update.pdf/7ab49490-7ff0-42f2-acc6-a1c1b1685df5

You will probably have to back date to 2018 map, as there are currently issues with the 2019 map download and Garmin has suspended them at present.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 06:47:44 AM »
Again thanks all.
First find your usb stick. I do have a monthly renewable 30GB internet plan so that will be sufficient. There is lots of rain and stormy weather in Italy for the next couple of days so best to wait until that passes.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
 :)
Just to update you all. Waited for a mild day as the weather has been poor recently. Successfully downloaded the data to reinstall maps (All Europe 2019) from Garmin about two hours. Uploaded to the car about 20 minutes successfully. Everything now working as it should do. Quite a relief.
Thanks for positive encouragement.

Tags: