Author Topic: New guy with modified Jazz  (Read 8312 times)

guest1632

New guy with modified Jazz
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

I've actually been looking at this forum for ages, but never said hi. I have a few mins spare so I thought I would now   ;D

I have a 2002 1.4L SE Sport that I bought as standard, and have built it up to (as far as I'm aware) the 2nd most powerful Jazz in the UK. Unless there are others on here that I don't know about? Only around 100+bhp but not many people are modifying these things so it's easy to rise up the rankings!

Anyways, the main mods is the Spoon suspension and cat-back exhaust, plus a K&N induction kit. For a full spec check out my THRLL page http://thrll.com/car/2002-honda-jazz-12630 or the build thread http://www.hampshirejapcars.co.uk/portal/f143/jazz-build-21442/

Some of you may have seen it at various shows in the UK, including last year's Japfest (and it'll be there again this year too!)

Also, a shout out to my sponsors Hendy Performance, who helped my get many of the parts at a much cheaper price! http://www.hendyperformance.co.uk/

Now pics!  :P hope you like! Feel free to ask questions if you're thinking of modding your Jazz! With a bit of attention they really are fun cars to drive  :D

guest3040

• Topic Starter
Re: New guy with modified Jazz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
Hi Wildfire, welcome to the forum.

What have you done to your engine to achieve "100bhp+"?  That seems quite allot considering the stock engine output is only 84bhp.
I just read through your build thread on Hampshire Jap Car Club and the only performance mods that i could see were your K&N 57i Intake and Spoon N1 Back Box.

She looks nice and clean for an 2002 car...  What have you got planned for your car next?

Steve.

guest1632

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
Thanks Steve,

The Spoon exhaust isn't just the backbox it's the entire centre section as well. I admit I haven't had it dyno'd, I'm just going on the expected performance increase stated by the people at Spoon. The full exhaust should be adding around 14hp, and the induction kit should add another 4%, so 102bhp altogether (assuming the 10 year old engine hasn't lost any horses ;)). I also run it mostly on premium fuel, which must make a little difference.

The stock exhaust is deliberately very restrictive so that's probably why it's such big leap when replaced - it's certainly made a very noticeable difference to the power. But who knows, if I ever get it dyno'd I'll post up the results ;D

As for future plans, I doubt I'll be doing anything major to it. If it's possible and not too expensive I might get the ECU tweaked. Really want a lightweight bonnet too, but finding ones at a reasonable price isn't easy!

guest3040

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
The Spoon N1 system is a lovely piece of kit. I used to have one on my Civic but i can't warrant spending that much money any more. I'll probably get a Buddy Club Pro Spec III at some point for my Jazz...

Have you looked at changing the exhaust manifold? That is one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust system. The thin runners are good for torque, but not good for power.
Spoon make a lovely 4-1 manifold, but i'm not sure if it would fit our L13 engine as it's been designed for the JDM 1.5 VTEC. May be worth looking into it.

Have a look at my build thread: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2680.0
I did a Throttle Body Coolant Bypass mod the other day. It's basically free and will give a slight increase in power due to colder intake temperatures.

How do the Spoon springs ride like? I would have got a set, but didn't really want to pay out that much for a set of springs...
Have you thought about getting the Spoon dampers in the future. They would really sharpen up your handling.  ;)

Steve.

guest3121

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »
Lovely Car mate, well done! :) Love the Spoon Theme!
Where did you get your Red Honda Badge from?

Sean

guest1632

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »
The Spoon N1 system is a lovely piece of kit. I used to have one on my Civic but i can't warrant spending that much money any more. I'll probably get a Buddy Club Pro Spec III at some point for my Jazz...

Have you looked at changing the exhaust manifold? That is one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust system. The thin runners are good for torque, but not good for power.
Spoon make a lovely 4-1 manifold, but i'm not sure if it would fit our L13 engine as it's been designed for the JDM 1.5 VTEC. May be worth looking into it.

Have a look at my build thread: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2680.0
I did a Throttle Body Coolant Bypass mod the other day. It's basically free and will give a slight increase in power due to colder intake temperatures.

How do the Spoon springs ride like? I would have got a set, but didn't really want to pay out that much for a set of springs...
Have you thought about getting the Spoon dampers in the future. They would really sharpen up your handling.  ;)

Steve.

Yeah the Spoon stuff is top quality but pretty expensive - only reason I went for it is because I get about 10% off due to the sponsorship.

The springs ride really well. They're progressively wound so in normal speeds and cornering it's only a little stiffer, but feeling a lot harder under heavier loading. Feels much better than stock anyways, and makes the steering more predictable and solid. How are the ones from FK?

Nice build thread, you've got a great car there - what are your future plans? I may give the coolant bypass a try - what size caps did you need to block off the feed/return connections on the TB?
And yeah, I'll try and find out if the Spoon manifold fits the L13 :D

Have you taken your Jazz out on track? I ask because mine is making its track debut at Llandow next week and I wondered how the Jazz's faired?

Lovely Car mate, well done! :) Love the Spoon Theme!
Where did you get your Red Honda Badge from?

Sean

Thanks mate, I got the badge from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-NEW-JDM-HONDA-RED-H-EMBLEM-BADGES-FRONT-BACK-TYPE-R-CIVIC-INTEGRA-FAST-P-P-/110834674656?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D110786177370%252B110786177370%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7370748762566469073

Quality isn't amazing, but mine's lasted several months now without a problem, and as you've probably found the genuine ones are ridiculously expensive!

You want a badge that's roughly 80x100mm. Also, the front badge on the Jazz is slightly curved, and the replacements won't be, so sand down the grill plastic before fitting!

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
like the colour, and the interior parts that have been sprayed to match :) looks pretty nice, whats your next modification?

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum however you are clearly misunderstood the modified scene making claims like you have without proper research and dyno

Any exhaust system will only give 5 bhp the most so you have been mis-sold if you honestly believe the cat back has given you +12 alone.

This forum isn't full of modders like ourselves that has posted but wish you all the best with your build

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
^ seen through several sites that replacing the full system gives an extra 22hp, 12-14 for the 2 boxes and 8 for the cat back alone for the 1.4i - was trying to find the site but cant remember how i searched for it originally so cant find it..

although i agree he does need to get a proper dyno test done so we can see his hp improvements :)

also wondering where the system was purchased? looks nice sure it sounds nice, would love one for my own car once im finished having to repair things..

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
Some nice mods there Wildfire.

guest1632

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
Thanks guys  :)
And yes point taken, I shouldn't quote figures until I know them for sure!  :-X Sorry for the controversy!

also wondering where the system was purchased? looks nice sure it sounds nice, would love one for my own car once im finished having to repair things..

I got it through Hendy Performace http://www.hendyperformance.co.uk/ but I'm not sure those actual parts are on their website.

Best bet is probably to go through Spoon Europe http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/index.php/products/jazzgd1-3/intake-and-exhaust-jazz-gd-1-3.html They seem to have a sale on a the moment too.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
Spoon stuff ....... they know how to charge! Certainly not cheap.

Was looking at dampers and suspension stuff. Not sure why you would want a stiffer front bar without fitting a rear one. My Jazz understeers as it is.

guest3121

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks mate, I got the badge from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-NEW-JDM-HONDA-RED-H-EMBLEM-BADGES-FRONT-BACK-TYPE-R-CIVIC-INTEGRA-FAST-P-P-/110834674656?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D110786177370%252B110786177370%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7370748762566469073

Quality isn't amazing, but mine's lasted several months now without a problem, and as you've probably found the genuine ones are ridiculously expensive!

You want a badge that's roughly 80x100mm. Also, the front badge on the Jazz is slightly curved, and the replacements won't be, so sand down the grill plastic before fitting!

Thanks for the EBay link :) I have to post up my pics soon..wish I had some Spoon to boast about though! :P

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks Wildfire, found the parts, a little pricey but worth it, shall be considering investing in a new backbox soon :) spoon looks like the best way to go as well.

Tags: