Author Topic: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.  (Read 15780 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 05:33:10 PM »
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/stop-start

This is the VW system. You press the accelerator to restart the engine on a VW automatic. On a Honda, taking your foot off the brake is the method for restarting.

The VW system, or so it would seem, would allow you to hold the car on the handbrake rather than keeping the footbrake depressed.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 05:49:59 PM »
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/stop-start

This is the VW system. You press the accelerator to restart the engine on a VW automatic. On a Honda, taking your foot off the brake is the method for restarting.

The VW system, or so it would seem, would allow you to hold the car on the handbrake rather than keeping the footbrake depressed.

More delay than the Honda system where the engine has started by the time my foot has reached the accelerator pedal. Also the Honda system allows you to start the engine by reducing pressure on the brake, while still applying it.

Definitely prefer Honda's implementation.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up my CVT. From what you say Mike, presumably there is no way round, on the Honda system, the blinding of drivers behind with your brake lights if you use stop start?

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »
I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up my CVT. From what you say Mike, presumably there is no way round, on the Honda system, the blinding of drivers behind with your brake lights if you use stop start?

Seemingly not....I am in the group that accepts this as part of modern driving.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »
The only problem I see with that is if you just want to creep forwards. At least with the Honda system you just release the pedal and it creeps and your foot can keep the pedal covered ready to stop again. With the VW system there could be a risk of over revving and rear-ending the vehicle in front and most drivers would have to move their foot from the accelerator back to the pedal to stop the vehicle.

Still - that seems to dispel my idea that it's a universal design resulting from a universal problem with automatics :-/

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
In my experience of rush-hour driving most of them deserve to be punished anyway  :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
In my experience of rush-hour driving most of them deserve to be punished anyway  :P

Really bad attitude alert  :o  :o

I was always taught to treat others as you would like to be treated.... (except BMW and Audi drivers)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:35:23 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
I tried, this morning. Held the brake pedal down, hard. The engine kept on running......

Seems, I've been driving correctly. And, stop start isn't fitted to my car!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
To get the best out of idle stop and an e-cvt you need a hybrid such as in the Lexus CT or IS.

Why have Honda dropped hybrids in the U.K.? 

On another point my car does not have a "hand" brake but a foot operated parking brake, and yes unfortunately I sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake.  Switching to neutral does not charge the battery if the engine is running.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »
Switching to neutral does not charge the battery if the engine is running.
Why not?

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »

Really bad attitude alert  :o  :o
Nah, showing respect to rush-hour drivers just makes you look weak. Especially when you're driving a Jazz. Other drivers probably think you're a retiree who shouldn't be on the road at that time anyway  :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:14:35 PM by andruec »

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
Switching to neutral does not charge the battery if the engine is running.
Why not?

It's complicated, something about the engine being decoupled from the electric motors in the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive.

Neutral gear (equivalent): Most jurisdictions require automotive transmissions to have a neutral gear that decouples the engine and transmission. The HSD "neutral gear" is achieved by turning the electric motors off. Under this condition, the planetary gear is stationary (if the vehicle wheels are not turning); if the vehicle wheels are turning, the ring gear will rotate, causing the sun gear to rotate as well (the engine inertia will keep the carrier gear stationary unless the speed is high), while MG1 is free to rotate while the batteries do not charge. The owners manual[22] warns that Neutral gear will eventually drain the battery, resulting in "unnecessary" engine power to recharge batteries; a discharged battery will render the vehicle inoperable.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 10:16:19 PM »
Right. Thought you were talking about a Jazz, not a Toyota.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:23 PM »
Why have Honda dropped hybrids in the U.K.? 
From what I remember of the specs it wasn't a particularly exciting hybrid anyway. Lacklustre economy and emissions that were nothing special for its class. But I am hoping that it will make a return. Hopefully they are ironing the bugs out and improving the implementation. I'd switch to a hybrid Jazz if it was a decent implementation.
""

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »
As I enter the band of brake light blinders from, about 1 pm tomorrow, after doing all the paperwork, at least road users can be assured that as a old codger I don't go out much and almost never at night ;D

Tags:

anything