Author Topic: starting problems  (Read 3212 times)

guest1089

starting problems
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
I have a Jazz 1.4 EX I-shift purchased new in May 2009 and recently when the the car hasn't been used for a couple of days, it wont usually start on the first turn of the key. Then after a second or two there's a muffled clunk from the nearside of the engine and it starts immediately. I'm not familiar with the I-shift system and am guessing that it is sticking in gear even when it shows N on the dashboard. I've had it in to the local dealer but they could not find anything wrong, mainly because they didn't leave it standing for a couple of days, even though I said they could have it for a week if necessary.  Anybody got any ideas?

guest959

• Topic Starter
Re: starting problems
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
My EX requires the ignition key to be switched on and then left for a few moments until the instrument guages are all settled and the fuel guage activitated.
The gear indicator will then read 1.
The engine will then start immediately, if you have the brake pedal on.
Hope this helps.

guest986

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
My ES behaves the same, as cammot33 describes - the engine will not start immediately after turning the ignition on. I guess the delay is about 2 seconds, after which the engine will start.
Also, you know i-shift requires you to have the gear lever in neutral, and depress the brake pedal while turning the key? The engine will not start otherwise.

My Jazz has just been left standing in the garage for two weeks while I was abroad, and it started straight away as normal when I got back :)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »
Also, you know you have to have the gear lever in neutral, and depress the brake pedal while turning the key? The engine will not start otherwise.

That restriction typically only applies to automatics. The manual transmission Jazz will start in gear with or without the brake applied.

guest986

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »
Also, you know you have to have the gear lever in neutral, and depress the brake pedal while turning the key? The engine will not start otherwise.

That restriction typically only applies to automatics. The manual transmission Jazz will start in gear with or without the brake applied.
The original poster did state that they had an i-shift, and I was responding to that directly - earlier post edited to make this clearer  ;D

Tags: